Montgomery Wards (Gilson Brothers) Tiller Woes

/ Montgomery Wards (Gilson Brothers) Tiller Woes #1  

Capt.Ron

Bronze Member
Ok I have an old 8 hp rear tine Montgomery Wards Perfectionist tiller that has given me great service up until the tank rusted on me. I removed that tank and grabbed a plastic one off of and old riding mower. Never could get it to run right with that tank on there. Cleaned out the carb multiple times but still no go. It would run 5-10 minutes and then crap out on me. I finally said screw it and bought a new tank just like what came on it new and a new carb.
I've got it to where it will crank and run like a top for about 5-10 minutes again and then it dies. the in line fuel filter looks like it's running out of fuel. It gets about 1/2 full of fuel when it dies.
Anyone got any ideas?

I got the biggest fuel filter I could get thinking it would give me more flow.

Is filter placement an issue? it's right before the carb.
Am I off track and it's something else completely?
I usually don't have issue with these little engines but this one has me ready to give up gardening!!

/ Montgomery Wards (Gilson Brothers) Tiller Woes
Turns out it was the filter. I did not realize that they make gravity feed and pump feed filters. The white and clear ones (most as far as I can tell) are for engines with fuel pumps (50 - 75 microns) which is what I bought. I needed one of the little red disc filters which are 150 - 175 microns. I put that little bugger on and it started first pull. It never died once the whole time I was tilling!
See:
IMG_20160329_193405.jpg

/ Montgomery Wards (Gilson Brothers) Tiller Woes #4  
Wards and Sears used to make (sell) top notch stuff. Wards went out of business years ago but Sears is still around. I have two 8 HP Sears front tine tillers with Briggs engines that are over 40 years old. They still run fine today, but don't get used much since I bought a Kubota with a tiller. I still fire one up to do some cultivating however. That simple fix made your day, didn't it Capt Ron.

/ Montgomery Wards (Gilson Brothers) Tiller Woes
Wards and Sears used to make (sell) top notch stuff. Wards went out of business years ago but Sears is still around. I have two 8 HP Sears front tine tillers with Briggs engines that are over 40 years old. They still run fine today, but don't get used much since I bought a Kubota with a tiller. I still fire one up to do some cultivating however. That simple fix made your day, didn't it Capt Ron.

Yes it did!! Wish I had known that filter selection was that critical for these engines!