Montana updates?

/ Montana updates? #1  

Maka

Veteran Member
Tractor
None at the moment
Hey all,

I know we have many Montana owners out there. Any updates that you want to give on performance, uses etc.

Maka

/ Montana updates? #2  
HI Maka

My 5740C is still going strong. 71 hours of seat time with no problems. I have added pictures to my scrap book for all to see how I am spending my summer.
The 5740C at Work
So far everything is working fine. Changed filters and oil at 50 hours. Found all of the filters at local NAPA store.

I am still grading the last mile of my driveway and will post more pictures when it is complete.

Oh I also added a 12 volt ice box in the cab so I can keep the cool ones coming. Love this tractor!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take care Maka...miss seeing your posts!

/ Montana updates? #3  
5740C with about 50 hours. I have only had two problems with it so far. The cast metal piece that bolts onto the A/C compressor that has broken twice. It has been fixed both times under warranty. I hear that it has been a problem with many owners, so hopefully they will develop a stronger part. The other thing was some bolts on the front axle loosened up and nearly fell out. Luckily we caught it in time.

Other than that it hass been good. I use it in my vineyard for mowing, spraying and carrying big stuff around. I also use it in construction for box-blading, grappling brush, etc. I'm definately glad I got the 4WD. I need it frequently doing the construction type work on irregular terrain, but not so much in the vineyard.

It has a FEL. It works good and will lift just about 2000# like the manual says. I also bought the Montana box blade. It works good, but I did bend the plate that the shanks mount to by digging out roots in 4-LO-1. I recently bought the 7' HD rotary cutter. It is basically the heavy duty King Cutter, except it was cheaper through Montana that if I had gone out and bought a King Cutter branded unit. It works good. So far I have only torn one of the wheels off the back - perhaps I am a little hard on my equipment.

So far I am pleased. I am curious what is in the works for that A/C part.

/ Montana updates? #4  
We've been in a severe drought right where I live so my pastures haven't needed mowing since nothing, including any grass, has been growing. Recently though we got lucky and got two different rains that were just enough to give the weeds a heck of a start and the grass some help too. I'll have to start mowing certain pastures for weeds here pretty soon and I'll know better then. So far, my 5740C has done just real fine with the little bit of work I've done with it though, and I really like it, all the way around.

/ Montana updates?
Hello JC. That 5740 is an awesome tractor that we love as well. We are moving quit a few and get nothing but positive back on them.

I did look into the AC piece and want to assure you it is very isolated . I am sure that it won't be seen much at all. The fix was simply a bit longer piece. This allows the AC to run at maximum with no stress on that connection between the aluminum tubing and aluminum block.

Glad you caught the bolts. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Maka

/ Montana updates? #6  
I just assumed that the piece on the A/C breaking was due to the tractor getting thrown around a lot on really rough terrain. I have a friend that works for a large company with many dump trucks. He said that their trucks that spend a lot of time off-road have similar problems with breakage of the A/C parts. Hopefully I have (or can get) one of the newer parts. If not I will probably have something custom fabricated that can withstand my abuse.

I don't mean to sound critical of Montana. If I have a problem I throw it out there on the board in hopes that maybe someone else with the same problem has come up with a good fix or solution. I also frequent a Land Rover board where there is a pretty good exchange of info and advice on how to overcome problems or fix things typical of the different models. That would be pretty helpful with these tractors too.

I am pretty hard on my tools and equipment and overall it seems to be a good quality tractor. I'm sure I will break things that most people won't. My dad used to tell me that I was the only kid that could break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

/ Montana updates? #7  
Maka,

If I wanted to mount brighter lights on the cab of my tractor would I have to do anyting other than put the new lights on? Would I have to do anything to the electrical system? Electrical systems are not my area of expertise.

JC

/ Montana updates?
HI JC,

I was out for a vacation and it has been crazy the last few weeks. I will write back on this when in the next day or so, unless anyone else can answer. I guess everyone else who owns Montana's are working them.

Any other updates.

Maka

/ Montana updates? #9  
Hi California Kid,
I see you have found the filters at your local Napa store. Can you share the numbers of those filters? I also have the 5740C and will need to change the oils soon. Did you use the same oil in the front axle as the rear end? Hey all, watch the front axle bolts for working loose. Mine did and one broke off. The dealer fix is to install a stronger grade torqued to 75 foot lbs. All for now and hope someone can provide the filter numbers.
Thanks,
JimmyBean from PA

/ Montana updates? #10  
Hi JimmyBean from PA

Here is the Napa numbers you are looking for;

Oil Filter 7106
Fuel Filter 3394
Hydro Filter 1715

On your question about the fluid replacement. Here is the information I got from Caltex:

"The LG Caltex product is not sold in the US. Our equivalent product for farm tractors is "Chevron 1000 THF" or "Texaco TDH Oil".

These oils are not only suitable for hydraulic systems, but also for the transmission and differential of many of the farm tractors in service worldwide".

When I called Montana Tractors they told me to use the Wal-Mart Tractor general purpose Hydro fluid.

Yea I know about the bolts. The Dealer gave me the word when I got the tractor. One thing is I think they had King Kong put the filters on. I used every filter wrench I had and still had to use a screw driver to remove the filters. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif