Montana shop manuals

/ Montana shop manuals #61  
Hahaha... thanks for the confidence boost!
I've done minimal tractor mechanical (read: helper) when i was much younger, 20-25yrs ago or so.
My first car was a hand-me-down from my brother and i started doing things like oil changes, brakes, water-pump/thermostat, starter and alternator, timing belts.... from then on. I've always bought used vehicles and between my brother and I, we have taken care of 98% of any maintenance/repair my vehicles have needed. My brother is a pretty kick a** heavy duty mechanic and doesn't shy away from any car/truck or heavy duty job and loves an excuse to buy a new tool. He just has the nerve to have a full time job so he isn't always available to help :thumbsdown:
One of the bigger jobs i ever took on solo was changing the heater core in a '91 Jetta. When i got it all ripped apart i kinda stepped back and my eyes got pretty wide at the vast amount of parts and screws laying around. Luckily by this time i had picked up pretty good habits (IMO) like threading screws back in their place, when possible, when taking things apart and labeling parts and just noting steps taken when taking things apart.
But i digress.....

The job ahead of me is replacing the internal PTO drive shaft and gear and what ever else i find damaged when i get in there.

Initially i was told that this required splitting the tractor's back end off and started at around 25hr but after a quick call to Magee Farm Equipment in Poplar Bluff, MO the fella there assured me there is no need to split the tractor. You get to the PTO from the top down; starting with the seat and the fuel tank.... so, i'll be out in the garage....

FYI..... Any replies specific to this repair i'm doing would probably be better replied where I started a post on this repair job in the Parts/Repair forum... http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/347524-montana-r3644-broke-internal-pto.html

or the Montana specific forum... http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/montana/347429-r3644-broke-pto-looking-repair.html

My hats off to you Benny I do believe you have the know how! (life lessons in mechanics) to step thru this repair... Use the digital camera a lot. the schematics at Montana tractors parts list should be enough instructions. Just be careful if any pin needle bearings are in mating shafts male/female sections,,this can be a hair raising experience at removal. Grease is used to hold pins into place to reset the sections.BUT removal of these sections requires a magnet placed underneath the sections (so the pins don't drop into the beyond.)

You have to sweep the entire tranny for broken bits anyway (I use paint thinner and compressed air)
Just chime in if you get hung up on removal... post photos of your problem and ill reply to the specifics the best I can.

Your repair requires shaft removal so this is pretty major. Just make sure you use brass punches to hammer anything inside the tranny to loosen their press fits check for snap rings too.
Now the MAJOR thing is once the repair is done is to dive into your mower deck or drill....and insert shear pins or a shearable PTO couplet (sometimes you have to manufacture it) And this problem will never occur again.

I finally did this on my rider mower after breaking 3 mowershaft housings. I reduced the torque on the blades to 20ft pounds and now they spin on the shaft when a rock or limb unearths itself into the blade. (its a pain to re torque the blades every mow job but much cheaper than endless housing replacements.)

The other banter about Montana tractors gears....is they simply did not harden the gears properly (exotic gases are used to achieve 1800-2600 degrees) then dipped in a oil mix to harden them off.
Reverse gears in Montana brand are considered "trash" the day they were installed. "use extra care when shifting in reverse grinding noise is a notification to slowdown in the shift or the clutch needs attention immediately" hop off and service it NOW....not later.

Looks like you have a 40-80 hour project just take your time....you'll do fine.

/ Montana shop manuals #62  
Benny can you identify if you have broken shaft #4...looks like there is a rubber plug to pull for exit...that actually looks easy to extract from the rear but yes the top need to be open as well.

/ Montana shop manuals #63  
   / Montana shop manuals #64  
Does anyone still have the shop manual for a 4340C that I can download?

/ Montana shop manuals #67  
The darn thing has never been used. Literally never. My dad bought the tractor then parked it under the barn and refused to use it because "we don't want to scratch it." Finally took the plastic off the cab headliner this weekend.

spokane1, I have the parts manuals, I'm looking for the repair manuals that TractorBarry used to have.

/ Montana shop manuals #69  
I just bailed on a purchase of a Ford 1220 HSD as I was advised it would not work well for my needs.

I just purchased a 2009 Montana 2840 with attachments. I'm now looking for a pdf or hard copy of an operators and or repair/service manual. I have the OEM loader bucket and backhoe attachments on it

/ Montana shop manuals #70  
I just bailed on a purchase of a Ford 1220 HSD as I was advised it would not work well for my needs.

I just purchased a 2009 Montana 2840 with attachments. I'm now looking for a pdf or hard copy of an operators and or repair/service manual. I have the OEM loader bucket and backhoe attachments on it

There was a fella, "TractorBarry" on this forum back when this thread started (2009) who was willing to share a pdf copy of the service manual, but he has long since dropped off the face of the internet... :(

.... no one else has stepped up to share theirs.
Apparently there is a company who will send you the manual on CD The link to the company is just a couple messages above this one (in msg #68 of this thread)

Is there something specific you are looking for in the service manual?