Montana 3940HST

/ Montana 3940HST #1  

onsight

Tractor
Montana R4944HST
I'm looking at buying a Montana 3940HST with loader and would like any feedback on the tractor. I'll be using the tractor for general yard work and for commercial snow removal. Occassionally, I'll need to use pallet forks on this unit to lift approx. 2400lbs - do you think this will be ok for this size tractor? I hesitate going bigger, as the lifting will only be occassionally and only to a height of around 4 feet high. I'd appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

/ Montana 3940HST #2  
I have a Montana 4540. I also have pallet forks. I don't know much about the 3940HST tractors, but I do believe they share for the most part the same loader and hydraulics as my tractor.

I can answer without a doubt, you will not be able to lift 2,400lbs with your pallet forks. Pallet fork capacity is in the 1,000 to 1,500lb range I would guess, based off my experience with mine. The tractor can lift more then that with the bucket, but the pallet forks moves the weight farther from the tractor, causing more leverage, thus less lifting capactiy.

Someone else will chime in on the tractor. I believe they are good machines.....

James

/ Montana 3940HST #3  
2400 lbs. is out of the question. That tractor weights 1200# less then mine. Add 650# for the box blade that stays on my tractor when I work with the FEL and 850# of tire ballast. Lets say the loaders weight the same. Now we're at 2700# more weight then the LG. My tractor has done 1100# at full height (around 9') with pallet forks lifting a fuel tank, I doubt I can get it to go to #1500. Maintaining lifts low to the ground will increase your capacity with forks, but there again my tractor won't do 2400# at 4'.

Standard model won't get near #2400 and adding weight will help but you'll still be a long way off! It will be a bigger tractor or cut your #2400 by 3............. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The LG is the same as a Farmtrac. They were in the running when I bought mine but I found them to be uncomfortable (the only reason I didn't go with either of them). I'm a big man and found them to be cacoonish with little thigh and knee room. Just something to think about. Comfort is important if you plan on being in the seat for extended peroids of time.

Good Luck!

/ Montana 3940HST #4  
That's my BIGGEST grip with my 4540, it's too dang small in the operator station. I'm 6'4" tall. I feel like I'm setting on a riding lawn mower. If I had it to do over I would opt for a Utility size Montana tractor or different brand with bigger operating station.

/ Montana 3940HST
What size tractor would you recommend going up then to be able to lift 2400#'s? I was hoping to stay with a Hydrostatic - as the wife doesn't drive stick... Any recommendations?
Thanks all for the info

/ Montana 3940HST #6  
I think you will have to go to a Utility Class tractor. I don't think you will be able to find a Hydro tractor with enough weight and lifting capacity to lift 2,400lbs on pallet forks.

Horsepower and lifting capacity aren't linked, but I would say you will be in a utility class tractor over 50hp to lift that much weight on pallet forks.

My 4540 Montana has the rear tires liquid filled and with the box blade on, 1,500lbs is pushing it on pallet forks.

/ Montana 3940HST
what about a 4340? Think that would be ok?

/ Montana 3940HST #8  
onsight
You need to know what the loader on that tractor will lift. Be careful if they just give you a lift capacity and no specification as to where it is rated, it is most likely at the pins which not very helpful. For instance a Zetor 102SLX loader will lift 4670# at the pins and only 2500# 31" ahead of the bucket.

I am sorry to say I do not think any Montana tractor compact or utility will come close to doing what you want. I would suggest you look at utility tractors above 60hp. Hope that helps.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Montana 3940HST #9  
The 4340 would do far better than the compact. It would need some ballast with that kind of weight out on the front. The 4340 would be far better without going much bigger.

I order all of my Montana utilities with Koyker loaders and we use the 180. Having said this I have only lifted about 1500 lbs. with it using the Bradco 3300lb 48" pallet forks and the backend was light. With ballast it would have been fine.

The specs on the Koyker loader Montana uses are as follows;

Max lift height 9' 6"
Lift capacity to max height at pivot pin 2470lbs
Lift capacity to max height 31.5" forward of the pivot pin 1610lbs.
I do not have a lift at 60" 31.5" forward of the pivot pin but it should be over 1610lbs. This would be the important spec for you.

I will see if I can get this number and post it.

Good Luck,
Maka

/ Montana 3940HST #10  
Chipperman,

Is that, </font><font color="blue" class="small">( For instance a Zetor 102SLX loader will lift 4670# at the pins and only 2500# 31" ahead of the bucket )</font> at max height or at a lower height?

Thanks,
Maka