Mole Plow... yes you read that right

/ Mole Plow... yes you read that right #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
OK... All you Kiwi, Aussie, and Brit folk...

Why is it that you (your country) tend to use a 'mole plow/plough' rather than lay drainage tile? And... how does it work?

For you 'other' worlders...

I need to drain some pasture areas, and had basically decided I needed to buck up and put in some drainage tile. In my efforts to learn more about it, I kept seeing the term 'mole plough' tossed around. I thought this was simply an odd term for a subsoiler... but I found out I was completely wrong.

Apparently, the term is specifically related to an implement which is very similar in appearance to a single or double shank subsoiler, however, the use of it and its function are very different. Whereas a subsoiler is designed to break up hard pan to allow water and root infiltration, MOLE PLOUGHS are designed to break up the soil a little, but to a GREATER DEGREE, they are designed to create a 'dirt pipe' through which water will 'run'. (This is my understanding of the basis... so "you in the know" tell me if I am wrong.

Basically, you have a thin, sharp and long shank onto which is welded a 'torpedo' shaped end rather than lifting tooth. Behind which, a larger 'bullet/expander' is attached which slides through the hole, EXPANDING and SLICKING the sides, in an effort to create an underground waterway. Basically mimicking Drainage tile, without the pipe.

I don't see ANY in the US, but they are everywhere (at least internet wise) in the UK, Australia and especially New Zealand.

I'm interested in them because I need to drain pasture, and grass is notorious for growing roots into tile and thereby plugging it up. Also.... tile is more expensive and difficult to install.

So... Mole Ploughers... let me know what is up with this technology please! How well does it work? How long does it last? Is this done once a year, once a month, or ???

Mole Plough Explanation AU

Mole Plow pic.jpg

/ Mole Plow... yes you read that right #2  
The ones I've seen were a bullet-shaped piece pulled behind a subsoiler-style shank.

08501f2d9c19ec193a47ea6910cbacc4.jpg

Bruce

/ Mole Plow... yes you read that right
I wonder whether I could just attach some sort of 'expander' to the back of my single shank subsoiler? I wonder how big I would need given the ripper shank causes a lot more disruption than the straight shank/torpedo type I've seen on the standard mole plows.

I would think the shank itself would disrupt the soil to the point that the expander couldn't form a true 'mole hole'.

/ Mole Plow... yes you read that right #5  
I pulled one behind a JD 4630, in 1973,, it was a trailer type, not 3 point hitch.

The mole was about 5" diameter, and was pulled 36" deep.

The 4630 used EVERY one of its horsepower to pull that thing in low gear,,,
later we found out that the tractor was not to be used for pulling in gears under 3rd,, too much torque for the axles.

/ Mole Plow... yes you read that right
How did the drainage work? How long did it last? Is is something worth looking into to a greater degree?

/ Mole Plow... yes you read that right #7  
How did the drainage work? How long did it last? Is is something worth looking into to a greater degree?

We did not do it for drainage, we did it so the corn roots could access more moisture.
It worked!!, I only made a single mole run every 12-16 feet,,
you could see the corn that was over the mole run was significantly taller,,,

I guess there was some drainage, we just did not have an issue with that,,,

/ Mole Plow... yes you read that right #8  
Is is something worth looking into to a greater degree?

We were trying to break the hardpan layer, I think it was a success,,
There was little data, except for my BIL's memory,,,
he was ecstatic with the results,, :thumbsup: :cool2:

/ Mole Plow... yes you read that right #9  
This is old I know but I just gotta say, we've, people in N.C that I know,always have called them mole plows. Imy talking several generations.

/ Mole Plow... yes you read that right #10  
OK... All you Kiwi, Aussie, and Brit folk...

Why is it that you (your country) tend to use a 'mole plow/plough' rather than lay drainage tile? And... how does it work?
+ + + +

To my understanding... Using a mole plow goes along with having drain tile, pipe in place.. The mole plow tunnels move water to the drain pipe that moves the water to the ditch or canal..
- - - - -
I plan to build a "homemade" mole plow shank this summer.. In our ground I routinely use a sub soil shank to make places for as much water as possible to accumulate near our fruit trees and bushes..

I have a Heavy Hitch type sub soil shank and receiver hitch adaptor, and plan to build a similar shank with a mole made from 2" square tube to use with the existing shank adaptor..

If this works well I have plans for a stand alone 3pt mole plow attachment.. I keep the plans in my "good idea" note book..