Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw?

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #11  
If I was going to buy a 261. Pass on the OE 261. Get the newest lightest one = NE T2 version.

Clutch cover looks like this. Showing 362 II for clutch cover style on new II 261 too.

Same with the 362. Dont get the OE pig, get the NE T2

s362NET2weight.pngs2612weight.jpg

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #12  
I'm own Husky Stihl and Echo myself. The big Pro Series Huskies are hard to beat. For smaller saws these days the Echo is a nice saw and the color matches Kubota good too.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #13  
If you like the saw then I would repair it. Ebay is a great place to find used parts for chainsaws if new is too expensive.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #14  
I have had a Stihl 026 for years, I have it on loan to my brother now. Super good legendary saw without reproach. It has cut I don't know how many cords of firewood and only had to go in the shop once for a carb cleaning/adjust (brother is not mechanically included). That spot in my 3 Stihl saw lineup is now filled by a Stihl MS261. Equally as good with more power.

Husky, Echo and others make good saws and I am not here to say they are not. To each his own. But If I were you I would get a Stihl MS 261 and not look back. Great saw.

Last edited:
   / Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #15  
Ive got a 260 and two 261s...happy with all three. The 260 is absolutely my preferred saw though...Ive never measured and they all look very close in size but it feels narrower to me as well as more powerful, doesnt seem to bog down as often as the 261s.

Keep an eye on craigslist, plenty of older saws all over there. Id buy another 260 if I found one, and I really want a 200T top handle next.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #16  
I have had my Stihl 026 Pro (has decompression release) for 20 years and would not part with it. It has been a great all around saw that is light and well balanced. Also, have a 2003 Vintage Husqvarna 372xp that shares the chores. Both saws have been flawless. Sold my old Stihl 017 and Still 190T.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #17  
I have owned/run three pro saws that are modern 50cc equivalents to the 026, and those are the Stihl 261, Husky 550XP, and Echo CS-501P. For my money, the Echo is far and away the best value, but all three saws are top notch.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #18  
I have an 026 Pro that I use for limbing with a 20" bar. I never use it for anything over 6". I did a muffler mod to it and an adjustable carb. The thing really came alive. Not really large enough for a go to firewood saw for my cutting needs. ( 20 cord yr.) but I would never get rid of it.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #19  
If my 025 ever dies, I'll buy a new MS 250...

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #20  
If my 025 ever dies, I'll buy a new MS 250...

Reading this as I have an MS250 and could use something with a little more snot. I saw Craigslit mentioned. To me you would have to know the saw to buy one used. I'm sure I'd end up with a brick in an orange case off the list. Heck I wrote two people on CL two days ago and got no response for something I'm sure no one else wants.