Mobile Scaffolding

/ Mobile Scaffolding #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I have brackets welded to a wagon running gear to accept a standard 5' x 7' scaffolding section. There is a screw jack under each of the 4 corners to provide leveling. I also had a jib crane fabricated so I can lift things up to a couple hundred pounds. It has been very handy.

I took some digital pictures, but might need some direction from somebody to help me post them.

Yooper Dave

Attachments

• 268287-MVC-002F.JPG
    268287-MVC-002F.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,178
   / Mobile Scaffolding #2  
Yooper Dave, good job on the scaffolding. I mounted some scaffolding on a utility trailer once to paint the house. Worked o.k., but was a little shaky, expecially on a 2 wheel trailer with light springs.

Now that we have a lot of shrubery around the house, I can't use the scaffolding on the trailer because I can't get close enough. Tried renting a cherry picker once, but it was so big and hard to move that I took it back after one day.

Your picture came through o.k.
Bob

/ Mobile Scaffolding #3  
Great job, you gave me some good ideas.
PJ

/ Mobile Scaffolding
I also have an extension which will allow me to get 4 picks accross to walk on. It will also allow the platform to get right next to the desired object.

Eventually, I will be putting 3 sections of scaffolding on top of the running gear. This will put my feet 18.5' above the ground.

I also have the capability to span two 15' long beams on top of the (extended) running gear so I can have 14' or 2 sections of continuous scaffolding from which to work.

Yooper Dave

/ Mobile Scaffolding #5  
Looks great- simple and reliable. Oh yeah- watch those power lines /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Mobile Scaffolding #6  
When you go three high, will you need any type of outrigger for stabilization?
PJ

/ Mobile Scaffolding
I am going to adjust the screw jacks so the platform is slightly leaning into the building. I also chock all of the wheels from both sides.

I may end up providing some rope or strapping to tie into the building. I do not want any surprises way up in the air.

Yooper Dave

/ Mobile Scaffolding #8  
As you add and improve your design, be sure to take pictures.
PJ

/ Mobile Scaffolding #9  
Just a couple things relative to this type of rig;
Since your wagon gear uses automotive type steering, you want to limit the travel of the front axel with some stiff shocks, as the whole thing can become very unstable if one of the steering tires takes a dip.
Secondly, you definitely want at least 4 outriger jacks, and your outriggers should be outside of the wheel width when in use. A soft tire can put phenominal stress on a rig like this, and corble the scaffolding quicker than you know what hit the fan.
Rigs like this used to be quite common, before OSHA stopped them from being used on construction sites.

/ Mobile Scaffolding #10  
<font color="blue"> Rigs like this used to be quite common, before OSHA stopped them from being used on construction site</font>

What was the logic in OSHA stopping the use of these? I always believe if you know what wasn't being done properly, you can then do that thing and avoid problems.