Minor Hydr Fluid Leak hopefully!

/ Minor Hydr Fluid Leak hopefully! #1  

TMAC

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 TC45DA w/SuperSteer
Well, last Saturday with only 3 hours on my tractor I noticed a small puddle of hydraulic fluid about the size of a silver dollar on the concrete floor. Traced it back to where it was coming from and it appears to be seeping out from underneath the FEL joystick, specifically from one of the lines connecting to the joystick block. My guess is that maybe an O-ring on that line is pinched and not sealing properly? I've been continuously checking the fluid level and everything seems OK so far. I have some fluid on standby just in case to keep it filled but wanted to know if any one has any suggestion or have dealt with the same problem? Maybe refer me to a previous thread.

Since then yesterday I bush hogged some but didn't use the FEL that much in regards to the slow leak. Still not a lot of leaking just the next day I notice a few drips on the floor.

I called the dealer Saturday as soon as I noticed and he said check it out to see if it needed tightened and call back if not. So I tried to get a wrench in there but without unscrewing the other lines I cant get a wrench on it. So here I am with 7 hours on my tractor and still a little leak. I hope it's only a minor fix. Any suggestions. Do I just need to get it back to the dealer right away or make them come out and take a look?/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Minor Hydr Fluid Leak hopefully! #2  
Greg, my experience tells me your leak is a simple connection especially since your tractor is new. If you can get to the hoses and where they attach to the valve body, give them a check. Tight but don't crank on the fittings. It will take a lot of fluid loss to show up on the dipstick. They hold a lot of fluid.

/ Minor Hydr Fluid Leak hopefully!
Rat, now say I unhook not just the one line but all the ones in that area coming off that distribution block under the FEL joystick. Would it be safe to try and reseal them myself with pipe tape or should I not go that far into it and let the dealer take care of the issue being that I only have 7 hours on it?

I just know that drip aggrevates the fire right out of me /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and I wan't to be able to use the thing without thinking, "if I work it a little harder it might leak a little more harder as well". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for the reply and help Rat. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Minor Hydr Fluid Leak hopefully! #4  
TMAC,

I had a hydro leak after 27 hours, right under the center of the tractor, near the seat. I called the dealer and they came right out picked it up, fixed it, and returned it in 3 days. I felt much better knowing the dealer was looking at it. Not to mention that thats what the warranty is for. Turns out the clutch pack plugs were not sealed tightly enough.

Good Luck,

BY

/ Minor Hydr Fluid Leak hopefully! #5  
Greg, a tiny leak like you are describing is not much. If you can put something under the tractor to catch the drip, I'd wait until my 50 hr service check. By then, you might find several other things needing to be fixed. I doubt that the leak gets worse. You could have a leak like that for months and it only adds up to a pint of fluid. A little fluid on the floor looks like a lot. If it's coming out of my own tractor, it looks like gallons. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just installed two additional remote hydraulic valves and had to retighten several of my fittings. They didn't leak until I had them under full pressure. What I'd be afraid of is that if you loosen other fittings to get to the one leaking, you might end up with another fitting leaking. Maybe that's just my own dumb luck, but that's the way it usually works for me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

None of us like "dripping" tractors, but I almost always have some slight seeping when I first disconnect my remotes at the quick-connects. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Minor Hydr Fluid Leak hopefully! #6  
Just my .02$ but here is what I would do.

First.. it is under warranty, so I wouldn't disconnect anything, and risk making it worse.... I would contact the dealer, and let him know about the problem,( it is now documented ) but that you were going to wait until the 50 hour service to bring it in as it is a minor issue.. and just 'monitor' it until then. If he's cool with that.. go for it. Now in the mean time.. take a paper towel, and a zip tie. Locate the line/fitting that is leaking.. Most likely it is the fitting leaking.. and the drip runs down the line to the lowest point then drips. Anyway.. identify that line.. and the leak point.. wrap the paper towel around that line and make it bunchy..( wadded up.. around the line ) and then zip tie it on.. if will now catch the oil and prevent drips. A real slow leak like that ought to make it to the 50 hour service in one or two paper towels!

( An old kitchen sponge filched from the wife will probably work even better.. )

Soundguy

Jim, I think that's what I'll do I'll just wait till the 50 hour service. Pine Ridge Suggested the same thing. And I'd rather not disconnect any fittings because of the points you mentioned. Thnaks for the re assurance. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris, good idea about the zip tie and paper towel, I might give it a try. I have talked to the dealer a few times already to let him know of the situation. I actually asked him if I could bring it down in a few days for him to take a look. He said sure. But now reconsidering to wait it out and maybe kill to birds with one stone.

I asked this in PineRidges post about noises so I'll ask you guys in case you didn't catch it. To make is quick here's the question:

There is a noise like a valve clattering coming from the left side of the tractor aronud the Hydr Oil Filter when idealing or else when I increase the throtle I can't here it any more. When I got off the tractor to check it out last Saturday I could feel the vibration of the ticking clatter when I held my finger tips on the hydr. line that runs to the filter. Just want to know is this a common functioning noise for the boomers or Class III's for that matter? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks.

/ Minor Hydr Fluid Leak hopefully! #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just want to know is this a common functioning noise for the boomers or Class III's for that matter? )</font>

Greg,
See the link below. Near the end of the thread I attached a repair manual illustration that removes the mystery.

Here's the link:
Is this noise normal?

Thanks Jim, sorry about posting in two different threads I know that's annoying sometimes. But anyway thanks a bunch. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Minor Hydr Fluid Leak hopefully! #10  
I had the exact same symptoms on my GC2300 last winter. Turned out to be a faulty swivel on the hydraulic hose connections on the joystick. Slight loss of hydraulic fluid didn't affect overall level. Dealer fixed it (under warranty). Hope your problem is equally simple!