Minneapolis Moline G950

/ Minneapolis Moline G950 #1  

nch77

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 5610(2)
There is a Minneapolis Moline g950 for sale nearby, asking 5500 and it has 2200 hours on it. It is the diesel version and it runs, but hasn't been used in a while. I have a couple Ford 5610s for most of my chores but I could use a 100 hp machine to pull the bush hog around. Is it a good tractor for being used or is it better off left to a collector?

/ Minneapolis Moline G950 #2  
Then were quite the work horse in their day, heavy built and strong. I have heard that parts for the 3 speed aux trans are getting difficult to find. It should be a good tractor doesn't need to be left for a collector.

/ Minneapolis Moline G950
Are they regular 540 PTO? TractorData says it has an independent PTO but they aren't always accurate.

/ Minneapolis Moline G950 #4  
It has been a long time since I was around one of them but I almost want to say it was like the IH's with both shafts one above the other 540 and 1000 rpm.

I also want to say they may have been closed center hydraulics.

So it should be fine in front of a bush hog all day in heavy grass and weeds. My 5610 struggles too hard with the HX10 and I want something that can handle it better. But I also don't want something that will be hard to get parts for and be too delicate for what I need it for.

/ Minneapolis Moline G950 #6  
What you can always do if you are concerned, is look up MM in Steiner Tractor Parts and go through the parts listings for that model and see what all is still offered. Then google or FB some of the MM collector clubs.

I know with my Allis Chalmers there are some really good people in that crowd. I have had Allis collectors GIVE me parts for free to see me get mine going again.

But I haven't had an MM yet so I don't know much about them.

/ Minneapolis Moline G950 #7  
I don't recall delicate ever being used in discussions of MM's. The only "weak" point could be the auxiliary transmission depending on which one it has. The 5 speed with the "ampli-torque" giving 10 speeds was their old system, the 5 speed with the 3 speed ampi-torque was not quite as durable and I have heard parts can be harder to acquire.

/ Minneapolis Moline G950 #8  
transmission input shaft and bull gears are the weak point on these. Gotta split the tractor to put one in.
Bought 2 of them with the same problem ---- got lucky at a junkyard for parts. Both of these were lp gas,---never had a diesel but had 2 ubs diesels which had injection pumps out. Stay away from diesel chit if you can! --- gets costly!

I'll probably pass on this one, its a little too old for occasional hard use and I don't need something else with hard to source parts. I will probably look for a good condition Ford 7600 or similar machine.

/ Minneapolis Moline G950 #10  
I'll probably pass on this one, its a little too old for occasional hard use and I don't need something else with hard to source parts. I will probably look for a good condition Ford 7600 or similar machine.

A Deere 4020 would fit that bill very well too. They are still a common tractor to use for haying and bush hogging around here.