MiniBike/front tine rototiller combo.

/ MiniBike/front tine rototiller combo. #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
About a month ago I posted a thread to see if anyone could give advice on how to modify a walk behind front tine tiller so I could ride instead of walk because of a developing lower back ailment. I wanted to keep my garden rows at 28 inches because a few years ago when I made a very small increase to 30-32 inches I seemed to loose the canopy for weed control. I wanted a simple tiller just to cultivate the new weeds. The ground is preped for planting with my tractor and pull behind tiller. The narrowest wheel base for a riding mower was at 29 inches. I have pull behind tiller with garden tractors but these all measured out at about 36 inches and these are really meant to prep the garden and not so much for the weekly cultivating for the new weed sprouts.

So I came up with this idea: I have a small Huskey tiller from TSC with a 16" width and a 5.5 B&S engine. I found a used mini bike with a 3.5 engine (Baja) and decided to see if I could join them. Take a look at the result. The tiller can almost pull me and the bike by its own forward action and the bike or my legs can give it a slight boost when needed. My soil is all sandy loam. Weeds start like gang busters 3 days after the slightest shower. Up here in SE Michigan we are pretty much blessed with reasonable rain fall.

Tell me what you think, advises, warnings etc.
Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    973.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    973.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    920.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    824.9 KB · Views: 153
   / MiniBike/front tine rototiller combo.
Gentlemen of the Green: You All undoubtedly will take note that I am the originator of the above Thread. You will also note that there have been over 100 views but no reply s. Fortunately, I caught this before someone lowered the boom on me so to speak. My wonderful wife just came in to coach me with this message: " Do you remember the instructions on how to combine a mini bike with a front tine rototiller, well here are the instructions on how to un combine them."

All kidding aside, I gave it a beta test today and it does work but it is not worth the effort. The tiller can just about passively pull me with the bike, but I need to tilt the tiller handlebars to keep it from digging too deep, and naturally the bike handle bars get in the way.. It will propel through hard ground but since I have soft sand it wants to dig deep and not skim the weed seedlings. If I could have a foot accelerator instead of the handlebar, it might help. Turning to go up another row is nearly impossible. It is a lot easier for me to walk behind and turn the tiller to go up the next row. The larger wheels that I installed are larger than those that came with the unit will help considerably and I can tilt the handle bars to keep it skimming at 1 to 2 inches while the weeds are seedlings so to speak.

I will do some more thinking come this winter but I'm too busy with the garden to do it now.

Thanks again for not tearing me to shreds.
DocRocky

/ MiniBike/front tine rototiller combo. #3  
Awesome.

I see some sun shade in version 2. ;)

/ MiniBike/front tine rototiller combo.
Dear Willl: Thank You for the kind reply. Are you any where near Glenoma, WA? I had one of my most memorable journeys to WA about 4 years ago. I towed a handicapped modified Dodge Caravan to a Viet Nam Buddy of mine who lost his leg there in 1965. After he was discharged he went to work and never complained. On **** of a guy, in fact he indirectly inspired me to do my limited farming. Since I towed it with a tow dolly I didn't want to encounter some of the steep grades of the Rockies nor fight the truck traffic on the Interstate's. I went up due North from Toledo to Michigan and crossed into the Upper Peninsula and caught US Route 2. It was one of the most fantastic road trips of my life. It took me 3 1/2 days with 4 overnights (Gaylord, MI, Mi; Duluth, Minn.; Bismark, ND; Cut Bank, Mt;and finally Coeur d Aleine ID. Dave C... passed away 2 years ago.

Attachments

• DSCN9951.JPG
    DSCN9951.JPG
    977.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 130
  • STA_0222.jpg
    STA_0222.jpg