Mini X hammer hydraulic question

/ Mini X hammer hydraulic question #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
I just got an old (real old) Mini and it is plumbed for a ''hammer'' there is one lever to engage it.
So my question is am i right in thinking that it just proves flow to and from in one direction and would need an additional valve and lever of some sort o use it for a thumb?
Slso im not sure if my idea is right then when i engage it shouldnt it 'dead head' as there is nothing connected to the quick couplers?
Thanks for any info on this

/ Mini X hammer hydraulic question #2  
I'm no expert in hydraulics, but does this lever go "both ways" as in forward/neutral/reverse, or just goes forward.

/ Mini X hammer hydraulic question
Glad you asked that,I just looked and moved it. there is three positions on that lever,.
The machine is an antique. Takeuchi TB35S
If you can imagine, the manual I have is original and is typed with a typewriter and very basic.
Also I found that one of the boom handle has a switch button hooked on it but the wire only go down the shaft and are cut off. Not sure what that switch would operate.
here is a video of the machine(not mine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb0b_dMlKF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oJq2SoMxGc

The first one is plumbed like mine but the second one isnt.Guess that was an option.

Thanks hope you can help me. I might get a fixed thumb but Id feel bad if I did that only to find I could have done a hydraulic one.
Once I get it running again I guess I could start it and see what does what.

Glad you asked that,I just looked and moved it. there is three positions on that lever,.
The machine is an antique. Takeuchi TB35S
If you can imagine, the manual I have is original and is typed with a typewriter and very basic.
Also I found that one of the boom handle has a switch button hooked on it but the wire only go down the shaft and are cut off. Not sure what that switch would operate.
here is a video of the machine(not mine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb0b_dMlKF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oJq2SoMxGc

The first one is plumbed like mine but the second one isnt.Guess that was an option.

Thanks hope you can help me. I might get a fixed thumb but Id feel bad if I did that only to find I could have done a hydraulic one.
Once I get it running again I guess I could start it and see what does what.

/ Mini X hammer hydraulic question #5  
My backhoe has two QC on the dipper also, it has a floor pedal that operates both ways also,, ( similar to your lever)
just beside it, it has a diagram of a "jack hammer" also, I do plan on adding a thumb in the future.
My "guess" would be that you could add a thumb.

As for the "button" with the broken wires, could this be for a "horn"? My machine has some of these on the sticks also, but they are for "dump", when pressed, the machine goes into neutral so you can rev the engine to speed hydraulics when loading trucks etc.
Nice machine you have, can you post a few pics.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Im leaning toward the wires are or were to a horn. but I havent yet located one LOL But im going to add one and use that button.
Today I fond that the lever with the three positions needs to be all the way forward. I had moved it to center and then the right track wouldnt move.So im thinking that if it had a hammer, then you move the lever to center and use the motion control for the right track to run the Hammer. this makes it so if you let go the hammer would stop. next ill have to find out what the far back position does. I suspect that it flows oil the opposite in the hammer. If this is so then adding a thumb the lever would control it but it would be somewhat inconvient to have to reach to another lever to put out the thumb.

finding out the levers the hard way lol

/ Mini X hammer hydraulic question #8  
dx1biw.jpg