Mini Excavator flail or brush cutter?

/ Mini Excavator flail or brush cutter? #1  

jjeff

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota l2850, kubota l4150
Hi again feel like I'm beating a dead horse, anyways wondering if anyone built or attempted to build a smaller brush cutter or flail mower for a smaller mini excavator? Did it work? if so how did it perform on a smaller excavator? If not why didn't it work? The excavator would have to be under 6k pounds and under 25hp with gpm on hydros less than 10. I know Eaton makes compact high torque lower flow motors I'm sure there are others, anyways my wheels are turning and something like this for a SMALLER mini ex. would be very handy for my small operation Unfortunately I cant find anything like this for smaller mini excavators. My reasoning to follow on why such a small excavator and how the brush cutter would be used if interested.
Thanks J

/ Mini Excavator flail or brush cutter? #2  
My nephew has D35 and thinking of making a brush cutter to put on his excavator, and asked about the hydraulic brush cutter i use on the FEL of my PowerTrac. I said, it works well and will cut green up to 4", one of the down sides of my brush cutter, i've heard of people losing a blade off of it and since they are pretty heavy, they may have a tendency to travel a distance. So if it was up in the air, when the blade flew off, it might be a problem. He's still looking in making one and he's pretty inventive, i'll keep in touch with him about where he's at on his brush cutter.

I don't have any direct experience using a flail, but have heard you need more HP, but they are safer as far as throwing stuff.