Mini-Barn

/ Mini-Barn #1  

BigE_

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D, LT4000
We've got blackberries and other weeds that are hard to control, so I've been thinking about getting a goat to help keep it under control. My wife has a friend who has sheep and claims that this particular variety are even better than goats for clearing land. The up-shot is that we are getting a couple of sheep, so I gotta another line tacked to the project list.

In addition to fencing, I was informed that I needed to provide a place for these sheep to sleep at night. My idea consisted of a 50' long cable attached to a collar or harness on a goat, and letting them sleep in the old dog run at night (we've got cougars and coyotes around). Put a piece of plywood over the top in one corner to keep out the rain, and call it good. Her idea was much more substantial -- suffice it to say it stopped just shy of a sheep mansion....

We compromised on a little shed and electric fencing. The bad news is that I had to clear some land. The good news was that I could finally justify a box blade so that I could use the tractor to clear the land. :)

Of course, the box blade came with no manuals, and wasn't assembled. That was a fun project in and of itself.

I had a little area just below the house that seemed like a good site.

2277561653_78e2849cba.jpg

Obviously, I finally got the BB on the tractor.

2278353622_55a07da65c.jpg

Next came the fun of learning to use it....

/ Mini-Barn
The TC33D was way overkill for this project. I needed to clear a 10'x10' space, and ended up clearing a 12'x40' space just so I could maneuver. One of those little BX24s would have been perfect for this job. But, no matter, I got it done, and had fun doing it.

2278353276_563f2e2935.jpg

The next step was setting the concrete blocks.

Yes, I should have had the next step being to add crushed gravel, but I was building this with stuff I had on hand, and the gravel supply place was closed. My dad gave me a hand with this part.

/ Mini-Barn
2278352976_9707858c88.jpg

Here's how far I got on day one. I built the walls up at the shop, then my dad and I carried them down and got them placed and up. The ground was too wet to bother trying to use the tractor and trailer to get them down there.

I've got a little 8 gallon air compressor that I bought specifically for little projects like this. I normally have it in the garage to run the air ratchets and impact wrench, plus fill tires, etc. The big compressor lives in the shop. At any rate, I cheaped out and got the 8 gallon from Harbor Freight. Unfortunately, while it can keep up with my paint sprayer and air ratchet, it won't run on the end of an 80' extension cord plugged into the outlet by the back door.

I also found that the 8 gallon compressor wouldn't even run when plugged directly into the outlet by the back door! So, I ended up using my 16oz hammer to pin this together.

Note I said I was using what was on hand, just in case you are wondering why 2x6s were being used. This is part of an old deck and mobile home that was torn apart, and seemed to be a perfect use for the materials. I don't think the sheep are going to care.

/ Mini-Barn #5  
And what a fine weekend for building pens for animals it was.

My neighbor and I did very similar work this weekend (I also got some of MY chores done as well).

I had an old wood shed on the property that was 7 x 10? It was replaced a couple years ago with one 16 x 10? We致e talked ever since about moving the old shed down to his place and using it for pigs, the weather begged for just such an operation.

I used the box blade (on a 33D like yours) to scrape out a 30 x 30 flat spot in about 30 minutes. We cut some alders a couple years ago so a few 2 and 3 stumps had to be pushed out of the way but they broke off easily.

Then came the shed relocation. We put a couple 2x6痴 on the bucket to span the rafters and lifted it up. The ground is not exactly level (the route is flat) and on a couple occasions the tractor started to tip.:eek: I brushhog these areas and it never concerned me but with the shed perched on the bucket I knew it was going to be slow going. Just kept my hand on the lever and hit 吐loat when needed. Shift the weight to the uphill side of the tractor and make another 100? adjust and make another 100?

Needless to say, the pigpen is done and there値l be pork dinners next fall.:D

/ Mini-Barn #6  
Looks like you're having more fun in the winter months then most of us!!!!

Keep us updated on your progress. I'm curious about he sheep and how it works out for you. Also, what type of sheep you get.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Mini-Barn #7  
Lucky sheeps...what am I seeing there??? The leaves??? In OR at this time of year?
Joe

/ Mini-Barn #8  
(we've got cougars and coyotes around).

In my area they will put donkeys in with the cattle and goats to keep out the coyotes out. They tell me that donkeys hate coyotes and will kick them to death if they can. Don't know much about about sheep. big dan

/ Mini-Barn #9  
oldhippy said:
(we've got cougars and coyotes around).

In my area they will put donkeys in with the cattle and goats to keep out the coyotes out. They tell me that donkeys hate coyotes and will kick them to death if they can. Don't know much about about sheep. big dan

You can but have to start them (donkey) when they are young.

Next will be the creation of the shearing area?

/ Mini-Barn
Type of sheep?
KATAHDIN SHEEP and they are supposed to eat just about anything green they can get their mouth around.

My neighbor has llamas and they haven't had any problems with the wild animals, but I have seen a coyote within 100' of the house (down near where the little barn is, come to think of it). My neighbor above me has a goat enclosed in an electric fence, so I'm figuring that the electric fence will keep them out. I got a 30 mile fence charger, and I'll be enclosing a little over an acre at a time. I'll be running the hot wires every 6-8" as recommended in the charger manual. Ground is fairly moist year round, so I don't have to worry about alternating hot and ground wires.

Joe, yep, those are leaves on the ferns.

Larry, I'm not quite as good at the BB yet. :) It took me a few hours of clearing. Slope started out at 15 degrees, though, and I had to make it 0 degrees. Your shed must be lighter than mine is going to be. 3 pieces of 4x8' OSB on the roof, covered by tar paper and a square of asphalt shingles, plus I'm doing the siding in hardiplank -- 23 of the 8"x12' boards. It is going to be HEAVY. Initially, this was going to be a little 4x6' shelter, and I was going to move it with the tractor as needed. Added the hay and grain storage area made it a tad bigger.

I'll have another picture to post soon. Rain returned last night, though.
Regards,
-Steve