Miller Thunderbolt AC only stick welder refurb questions

/ Miller Thunderbolt AC only stick welder refurb questions
I was using 6011 that I've had for years, decent condition, instant strikes on my DC welder, I only have standard DC 7018 so didn't even try that on the AC welder, it was striking (no matter on what) like it was set at 20A not 110ish, hard to start but after 1/2" of travel on light wall metal would burn through really bad, will try to get an attempt at trying it on the low setting in the next week...

/ Miller Thunderbolt AC only stick welder refurb questions #22  
6013’s work well on thinner material, and need to run on DC straight polarity. Many folks don’t realize that switching your leads on the machine goes from DC reversed polarity to DC straight polarity. You get less penetration on straight polarity, hence better for thinner work. And 6013’s are designed to run on straight polarity. Low hydrogens are for DC reversed polarity ONLY.

/ Miller Thunderbolt AC only stick welder refurb questions #23  
All these comments about DC welders is just a waste of time (reading)
The OP has an A/C ONLY machine.

A/C works fine for so much of "tractor related" welding. Just get to know the kinks.

/ Miller Thunderbolt AC only stick welder refurb questions
I have both, and welcome comments :), I have a strong preference to DC with either 6011 or 7018 since I have a good supply of both, along with a couple wire feed welders but they all have uses, thus why I bought another welder in the first place... I have a shop and a garage, both need a stick and wire feed welder as far as I'm concerned...

/ Miller Thunderbolt AC only stick welder refurb questions #25  
Me, from earlier in the thread - "I've not had a chance to see how wide the Berger version opens -"

Sooo, I was in town today and checked out the Berger clamp above - their spec for opening is 1-7/8", so I checked it with a tape measure - apparently my grip hasn't suffered from OFS too much yet, I squeezed it til the handles hit each other, and measured right at 2-1/8" - so I bought one for a spare :rolleyes: ... Steve