MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #111  
if welding in 110-go cheap. Why because 110v will be a light duty cycle mig anyway. Get one that will weld both flux core wire and gas. Practice a bit using flux core wire then go to gas-you will see a huge difference in your welds-properly set with gas sounds like cooking bacon :)

I gave my Harbor Freight away to my nephew so he could practice to be a professional at home, that was 4 years ago and now he works for a company building destroyers for the navy.

Thats all you need for now....then once you get the hang of it-upgrade to something better.

I was a professional welder before I became a Microsoft Windows Engineer. Built everything from oversized logging trailers and trailer truck headboards to fuel or oil tanks and 5x8 trailers.
From the first spark I heard bacon frying. I played with the amps (my only choice of setting for some reason (synergeric) and I got different effects from different amperage of course. 100, 75 (best on my small scrap) then 50 (no good). Quite thin metal.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #112  
Make sure you have good ground too. Sometimes with thin metal you have to spot weld a little at a time. I made alot of thin metal tanks that way.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #113  
I mentioned earlier that I was a licensed mechanic from 1987 to 2005 and I had to learn to weld to get my license.
I have a 40+ yr old flux core mig in the basement right now that never worked right - and the last time I needed to use that was around 2004.
So I do see a need coming up for a couple small projects, but nothing beyond that in the plans, so a very inexpensive ("cheap" implies poor quality)
suits me for my need of a couple times per decade.
Cheap and inexpensive doesnt mean its bad unless your rebuilding dozer treads. They are just light duty, meaning thinner metal capacity and cheaper transformers mean the less you can run a bead before it overheats. My Harbor Freight was that way-weld for 5 minutes and let it cool off for 30 minutes kind of light duty. Its fun playing with the little pool of magma :)

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #114  
Cheap and inexpensive doesnt mean its bad unless your rebuilding dozer treads. They are just light duty, meaning thinner metal capacity and cheaper transformers mean the less you can run a bead before it overheats. My Harbor Freight was that way-weld for 5 minutes and let it cool off for 30 minutes kind of light duty. Its fun playing with the little pool of magma :)
Perfect. Just my style :)

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #115  
For anyone getting started, as our OP is: your gonna need a bunch of scrap metal, a good wire brush, wire wheel, flap discs, and cut off wheels. Clamps are bonus, but I would work on first just how to burn 6" in a sort straight line; followed by welding stuff together, and over all, just have fun with it.

I am a crap welder, But I have managed to save myself several thousand dollars through the last 20 years, just by able to fix a Kubota seat bracket, grill legs, exhaust pipe, gates, ect. I have also fabricobbled 2 plows, some gates, boat anchors, grill legs, fire pits, ect.

New steel is crazy expensive unless you have a local source for drops, so keep an eye out for ferrous scrap. It might have Been a lawn mower blade, but who knows what you can turn it into.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #116  
Oh, and I'll get you the same advice I give the kids; with welder, as everything else in life; When it comes down to catching on fire or going blind, always choose catching on fire, its not that big of a deal, it happens, that's why we learned stop drop and roll in elementary school

On a serious note, keep a bucket of sand, water, or a fire extinguisher around, slag, dropped rod butts, ect will light grass on fire quick, and keep oil based paint away.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #117  
Oh, and I'll get you the same advice I give the kids; with welder, as everything else in life; When it comes down to catching on fire or going blind, always choose catching on fire, its not that big of a deal, it happens, that's why we learned stop drop and roll in elementary school

On a serious note, keep a bucket of sand, water, or a fire extinguisher around, slag, dropped rod butts, ect will light grass on fire quick, and keep oil based paint away.
Sound advice.
Back in my auto days we would watch someone cutting an exhaust down.
In anticipation of what the sparks falling into his Bic lighter pocket might do.