Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon

/ Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon #391  
Do you not pass along any taxes/price increases to your customers?
Not to my biggest one. My main hay buyers sets the price.
We can take it, or let it sit and rot.

I can raise my mowing prices, but then I risk losing them to a competitor.

Does any of that sound like Bidenomics working good for me?

/ Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon #392  
So when your company cannot pass it along...either lower pay for employees, less or no hiring of employees or the owner of the business earns less. "Who cares, business owners are rich" - said people who never owned a business.

/ Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon #393  
So when your company cannot pass it along...either lower pay for employees, less or no hiring of employees or the owner of the business earns less. "Who cares, business owners are rich" - said people who never owned a business.

Yeah, business owners are all “rich and cheat on their taxes” lol

/ Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon #394  
Exactly. The first thing before setting your price to your consumer is adding up your cost and taxes are a cost. I think most politicians know that, but they rely on the fact that the average person does not. Liden knows that and often takes advantage of the naive public.

/ Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon #395  
That gas tax map is interesting. We took a trip through Iowa, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska and Missouri. We live in Illinois and the only state that had noticeably lower gas prices was Missouri. Several states had higher gas prices even though they have much lower taxes. I’m guessing competition in Illinois might hold prices down a little.

For example Montana has $0.30 lower gas tax but gas was $0.40 to $0.50 higher.

/ Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon #396  
Do you not pass along any taxes/price increases to your customers?
I try not to, but it's getting harder to absorb it. I want to stay competitive, and offer a great service with a good attitude to my customers (mowing), but holy cow have my expenses gone up. I've charged the same rates for the last 2 years. Fuel has been up, down, and all over the place during that time. My insurance has stayed constant (thankfully, so far), but I just serviced my tractor and oil and fluid prices have jumped, not to mention cost of filters.

I'm actually arguing with myself back and forth about raising my rates for next year. I don't really want to, but at least sitting here now, I don't see how I can help it.

What's the point of running jobs if I'm losing money on them? Better off letting equipment sit, then to operate it at a loss.

/ Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon #397  
I try not to, but it's getting harder to absorb it. I want to stay competitive, and offer a great service with a good attitude to my customers (mowing), but holy cow have my expenses gone up. I've charged the same rates for the last 2 years. Fuel has been up, down, and all over the place during that time. My insurance has stayed constant (thankfully, so far), but I just serviced my tractor and oil and fluid prices have jumped, not to mention cost of filters.

I'm actually arguing with myself back and forth about raising my rates for next year. I don't really want to, but at least sitting here now, I don't see how I can help it.

What's the point of running jobs if I'm losing money on them? Better off letting equipment sit, then to operate it at a loss.

I’m blown away by increases in insurance. Most of my customers keep saying to me “you must be really upset about fuel prices”. Of course I am, but insurance has been a “quiet killer” for me.

With new and used tractors, vehicles and attachments SKY HIGH in price, insurance costs have gone up with them.

The insurance companies are just covering their azz‘s, of course and passing their increased exposure to loss onto their customers.

Another dramatic increase I see is in dealer parts/service, tires and batteries.
A radial 12R/22.5 truck tires is like $750 bucks now.

/ Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon
Oil will be spiking again Hamas vs Isreal

/ Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon #399  
Prolly Iran. Hamas is just their pawn.

/ Midwest Gasoline to Spike $0.50-$1.00 Per gallon #400  
Oil will be spiking again Hamas vs Isreal
It is. That and the Trans Canada pipeline is set to go into operation in Q1 2024. Oil will go the Canadian west coast to be sent to Asia. Triple the initial estimate so less imports to the US.

Trans Mountain Pipeline Capacity Set To Triple | OilPrice.com

1696819678201.png