MF35 PTO hydraulic pump to run hydraulic auger?

/ MF35 PTO hydraulic pump to run hydraulic auger? #1  

Chris Wilson

I would like to buy and use a hydraulic post hole borer to run on the front loader of my little MF35. I know the stock hydraulics won't run one, the auger I am looking at ideally needs about 35 litres a minute. An absolute minimum of 25 litres a minute. Can I find a suitable PTO pump to give that sort of flow given the PTO RPM of the MF35? What else do I need, a control valve and a reservor and filter? Does the auger need to reverse? Any tips very welcome, I am in the UK. All the best and thanks for any replies..

/ MF35 PTO hydraulic pump to run hydraulic auger? #2  
All of our old 35s had a hydrauluic pump attached to the front and driven by the crankshaft on the engine.

/ MF35 PTO hydraulic pump to run hydraulic auger? #3  
Check out with the folks at FlowFit. They are UK based and have plenty of options for your needs. I've used them a lot before Brexit.

You'll need a PTO speed increaser and you can then pump pretty much whatever gear pump you need.

Something like this:

1666703400819.png

/ MF35 PTO hydraulic pump to run hydraulic auger?
All of our old 35s had a hydrauluic pump attached to the front and driven by the crankshaft on the engine.

Thanks, that's an option I didn't know about, I'll check it out, thank you.

Check out with the folks at FlowFit. They are UK based and have plenty of options for your needs. I've used them a lot before Brexit.

You'll need a PTO speed increaser and you can then pump pretty much whatever gear pump you need.

Something like this:
When you say a PTO speed increase, do you mean just running the engine faster, or gearing the PTO output shaft up witth some form of external gearbox? Thanks, sorry if the question is naive, and I appreciate your reply and the photo, I'll look FlowFit up.

EDIT, silly me, it looks like the pump has its own, inbuilt gear box to raise the pump's speed....

/ MF35 PTO hydraulic pump to run hydraulic auger? #6  
When you say a PTO speed increase, do you mean just running the engine faster, or gearing the PTO output shaft up witth some form of external gearbox? Thanks, sorry if the question is naive, and I appreciate your reply and the photo, I'll look FlowFit up.
A PTO speed increaser is just a gearbox that goes right over the PTO shaft on the tractor and increases the RPM as the name suggests. Those are typically available on 1:3.5 ratio, meaning that if you set the PTO at 540 RPMs, it will output 1890 RPMs for the pump.

The part I'm talking about is the oval/pear shaped part on the right on the picture I showed. The thing on the left is the gear pump. With this style of PTO pump, you get pretty much whatever size/displacement of gear pump you need.

/ MF35 PTO hydraulic pump to run hydraulic auger? #7  
Check into the pump for how much capacity it has? Mine on the 203 I think is 15 GPM. It is fairly easy to up rate the pump if you need bigger capacity.It mounts in front of the engine and drives via a shaft.

OK, understood now ptsg. thanks. What other stuff would I need to run a hydraulic auger from an external pump? Reservoir and filter and some form of control valve? Do these hydraulic post hole augers need reversing in case they get stuck, or are you reliant in, in my case, the front loader being powerful enough to yank them out?

Check into the pump for how much capacity it has? Mine on the 203 I think is 15 GPM. It is fairly easy to up rate the pump if you need bigger capacity.It mounts in front of the engine and drives via a shaft.
Would me having front loader on affect this? I would need to refresh my mind as to whether there's anything that might get in the way, or are the pumps still within the front bodywork? Thanks. Having a front mounted pump to a loader mounted auger would reduce the pipework runs, for sure.

/ MF35 PTO hydraulic pump to run hydraulic auger? #10  
Obviously, in addition to the pump, and auger head, you need a valve. You want the valve to be able to handle whatever your needed flow is, and also be able to handle a motor, rather than just a cylinder. You will want to be able to reverse it. Great when you get wrapped up in a root or immovable rock. Make sure you get a valve that maintains it's position, with a center detent for off. That way you can run the loader controls without having to hold the auger valve open.

You need some form of tank/reservoir. How big depends on how much you plan to run it, and if you have a cooler in the system. Bigger tank lets more heat escape from the oil.

Filter is certainly a nice thing to have, and I'd put one in, but isn't absolutely mandatory. I've got 3 small Case tractors that are hydraulic drive, and PTO that don't have filters. They're all over 40 years old, and still tickin' along just fine. I put together an auger for one of them, and it's absolutely fabulous when I need post holes. I believe my Case units put out around 8 gpm. The tank is only a couple gallons if that, but they all have an oil cooler to take care of heat, plus whatever extra oil is in all the various lines, and cooler.