Price Check MF231 v. MF231S

/ MF231 v. MF231S #1  

2manyrocks

I looked at a 1995 or 1996 MF231 with about 1200 hours. Seller wants $7500. Barn kept. Only question I have is some fluid leakage on both sides of tractor roughly in the area of the lift control on other side and whatever the other control is on the other. I didn't see an obvious leak, but the transmission housing was damp from some kind of fluid. Any ideas on this one?

Then I looked at a 2001 231S with 1700 hours for $6750. Has been kept outside. Both power steering cylinders were dripping. The steering column had what appeared to be hydraulic fluid leaking from it some way or the other. So I assume both cylinders and something on the steering column will have to be worked on. The clutch also felt like it was working, but had a narrow range of engagement suggesting that a new clutch is not that far off.

Essentially, I need a bigger tractor to mow with. Ideally, I'd like to have a FEL which neither one of these has. I'm also not sure if these models will accept a FEL without adding another hydraulic pump? Does anybody know?

/ MF231 v. MF231S #2  
I looked at a 1995 or 1996 MF231 with about 1200 hours. Seller wants $7500. Barn kept. Only question I have is some fluid leakage on both sides of tractor roughly in the area of the lift control on other side and whatever the other control is on the other. I didn't see an obvious leak, but the transmission housing was damp from some kind of fluid. Any ideas on this one? Then I looked at a 2001 231S with 1700 hours for $6750. Has been kept outside. Both power steering cylinders were dripping. The steering column had what appeared to be hydraulic fluid leaking from it some way or the other. So I assume both cylinders and something on the steering column will have to be worked on. The clutch also felt like it was working, but had a narrow range of engagement suggesting that a new clutch is not that far off. Essentially, I need a bigger tractor to mow with. Ideally, I'd like to have a FEL which neither one of these has. I'm also not sure if these models will accept a FEL without adding another hydraulic pump? Does anybody know?

I see there is a few 231's with FEL listed in the machinery trader web site. If you can find a loader to go on that tractor because of its age is another $64 question. Could be difficult but I'm just guessing that. As for the fluid leakage. A little oil goes a very long way. It may just be seeping only a few ounces a week or something that makes it look worse than it is. It could run like that for years without any trouble.i would be worried about those steering cylinders though. Could be they have gotten banged up or even bent. Re-sealing them would not be horribly bad but if they are damaged then they would have to be replaced. Good luck in your venture.

/ MF231 v. MF231S
Seller checked on replacement cylinders from MF and was quoted $500 each. He's going to check on having them rebuilt. I may just need to wait until I find a tractor that already has a FEL instead of trying to chase one down later.

/ MF231 v. MF231S #4  
It sure might be easier but you never know

/ MF231 v. MF231S #5  
I looked at a couple of 231s last year, and liked the size, power, weight, etc, but found they were sort of a paint to get on and off...just awkward. The newer models with rounded fenders are much better, but still pretty awkward.

The 231S is a completely different machine, with a longer wheelbase, more powerful engine, far stronger 3pt system etc, and is actually the same basic machine as my 241...at some point they appear to have consolidated model numbers, and located all the production at one facility. By coincidence the steering cylinders on mine started leaking over the winter (made either late 1999 or early 2000 as best I can tell). The seal kits to rebuild the cylinders on mine run around $30 per side, so it's not too painful. The 231S was available with either power assisted steering, or hydrostatic power steering, and the cylinders are different (actually two versions of the former). The hydrostatic kind has one cylinder with a toggle on either end, so it sounds like the one you looked at had the assisted power steering style with a cylinder on each side. I looked up those two numbers (I have a parts manual) and they are pricey at $465/each. Again, it appears a rebuild kit is available, but you'd have to narrow down which variation of cylinder you're looking at. I think most hydraulic shops would be able to handle it for a lot less than $500 per side, even if you didn't provide them with the factory seals.

I can't help with the leak in/around the steering column, but some of the steering lines cross over from left to right there, and it could be as simple as a bad fitting.

Both machines will accept a loader, but they aren't intended for heavy use...most the front axle isn't intended for loader abuse (at least what many folks seem to think). Used with that in mind, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm not sure, but I thought they ran off a front mounted pump, but I'm not certain. The correct loader can be found used sometimes (I looked just out of curiosity for mine), but finding them can be hit or miss. I think this guy's price is way high, but it is a nice, clean, example, and would work on a 231S as I understand it:
MASSEY-FERGUSON 232 Loaders For Sale At TractorHouse.com

/ MF231 v. MF231S #6  
Personally, if I needed a loader, I would hold off and buy a tractor with one already installed. I actually bought a Massey 240 with a loader and removed it and sold it. But in my limited use of it, it was very light duty and a little clumsey to operate. I also have a larger Kubota M6800 and added a loader 5 years after I bought it. THis seemed to be a much more expensive way to get a loader than just buying a tractor with a factory installed loader. But at least it still was available from my dealer. Trying to find a loader compatible with this age Massey and trying to find the valves and parts, and paying to have it installed seems foolish, especially since this tractor isnt really that strong in the front. I would hold off and look for a good 4 wheel drive tractor with a loader installed so I could test drive it.

/ MF231 v. MF231S
Thank you all for the warning about the axle.

One other issue I've had in mind is the number of hours showing on these tractors relative to their age. I see several other Masseys of the same vintage with 2700 or so hours. I start to wonder if the hours are right.

/ MF231 v. MF231S #8  
Thank you all for the warning about the axle.

One other issue I've had in mind is the number of hours showing on these tractors relative to their age. I see several other Masseys of the same vintage with 2700 or so hours. I start to wonder if the hours are right.

My 241 (late 1999 to early 2000) is at right around 1,700 hrs, and the tach works. Something to keep in mind is that on this style/vintage Massey, the tach records hours at 1,500rpm. So, time idling has almost no impact on total time shown (PTO speed is between 1700 and 1800). Most tractors like this seem to average around 100-150 hours a year unless they're in dedicated farm use.

/ MF231 v. MF231S #9  
I am partial to the legendary Perkins AD3.152. So my choice would be the 231. No disrespect to the Perkins 903.27 in the 231S whatsoever, I just like the AD3.152