MF1528 3PTH not lifter

/ MF1528 3PTH not lifter #1  

tgrashopper

Bronze Member
Tractor
massey Furgeson 1528
They other day I notice that my Hydrolic oil level was below the dipstick. The oil as around 100Hours with new fitler. Not sure why it was low. so i added oil. I ran the tractor for about 2hours and last time I parked it the 3pth was acting weird. It would take time to raise. I played with the B hyrdrolic lever to move the Box blade Hydrolic piston couple of time and then the 3pth was working again. At the time it looked like my problem was fixed.

Today, after I started the tractor, the 3pth was not working anymore. Hydrolic oil lev was good and clean on the stick. I had to manually removed my box blade to plow the driveway. I ran the tractor for about 1h and try to lift the 3pth couple of time without luck.

I have checked and my 3pth speed lever is not close and my Front loader is working.
I did not try to fool arond with the Accessory A or B to see if I had hydro but the Front loader and hydrostatic transmission is working.

/ MF1528 3PTH not lifter #2  
How much hyd oil did you have to add? Large amount ? Have you seen any sign of significant leaks ? By "Box blade Hydrolic piston" do you mean you are using an hydraulic top link in your three point hitch? (That would be be good to have using a box blade of course.)

My first guess is you got air in your hydraulic system somehow. Maybe as a result if it being VERY low (if it was all that low) , or by having hoses off recently, etc. Normally exercising ALL your hydraulic circuits several times (loader, hyd top link, bucket controls, etc.) you should be able to rid the system of air pockets. [Ridding the system of air pockets amounts to getting a lot of flow from all your hydraulic circuits so that the RETURN TO SUMP has dumped all the air pockets back to the sump (which is vented) from the various circuits and then your pump sucks nothing but oil from the sump. ]

Last edited:
   / MF1528 3PTH not lifter
How much hyd oil did you have to add? Large amount ? Have you seen any sign of significant leaks ? By "Box blade Hydrolic piston" do you mean you are using an hydraulic top link in your three point hitch? (That would be be good to have using a box blade of course.)

My first guess is you got air in your hydraulic system somehow. Maybe as a result if it being VERY low (if it was all that low) , or by having hoses off recently, etc. Normally exercising ALL your hydraulic circuits several times (loader, hyd top link, bucket controls, etc.) you should be able to rid the system of air pockets. [Ridding the system of air pockets amounts to getting a lot of flow from all your hydraulic circuits so that the RETURN TO SUMP has dumped all the air pockets back to the sump (which is vented) from the various circuits and then your pump sucks nothing but oil from the sump. ]
I was missing around 4 to 5 litre of oil. There is no leak that I can see. The oil was change last summer and I know it was levelled to the deep stick. Last fall, I was using a forestry Hydraulics winch for the first time. It's very possible that my oil went in there or the winch had a leak at the time and I did not see it. but 4 to 5 litre is a lot and I never saw any leakage. I definitively plan on keeping a closer eye on that oil level.

Tomorrow, I'll try to connect the top link again and move it around to see if I can get those circuit to work. I did not try them tonight.In my manual there is a procedure regarding bleeding the system after changing the oil. I'm wondering if I should do that.

/ MF1528 3PTH not lifter #6  
Pas de probleme! Votre anglais est plus meilleur que mon français, je crois!!

/ MF1528 3PTH not lifter
Found my issue.
The control valve for the hydraulic top link was bearly engage and all the hydraulic flow was going there. It also 1/2 seize , I did put some PB Blaster on it and now it's moving and I have to wigle it to get to the Neutral. Then the 3pth work.
To do a good job I would need to disassemble the valve to clean it. I suspect there is rust,water in there.
In order to do that, I have to removed the rear wheel. not a job that I'm looking for. The tire are loaded and I have chain.

Sound like I would need a forklift to removed the wheel.

/ MF1528 3PTH not lifter #9  
   / MF1528 3PTH not lifter #10  
I was missing around 4 to 5 litre of oil. There is no leak that I can see. The oil was change last summer and I know it was levelled to the deep stick. Last fall, I was using a forestry Hydraulics winch for the first time. It's very possible that my oil went in there or the winch had a leak at the time and I did not see it. but 4 to 5 litre is a lot and I never saw any leakage. I definitively plan on keeping a closer eye on that oil level.

Tomorrow, I'll try to connect the top link again and move it around to see if I can get those circuit to work. I did not try them tonight.In my manual there is a procedure regarding bleeding the system after changing the oil. I'm wondering if I should do that.
Yes, do it. Cannot hurt anything and MIGHT solve the problem. Sounds to me like the oil level was low enough that you got air in the system.