MF GC 1715 Front Axle Seal Replace

/ MF GC 1715 Front Axle Seal Replace #1  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
Well I did the front axle seal replace on MF GC 1715 and it's pretty much as detailed in link below for a GC 2310... Yes it can be done by just removing lower section...And YES you need GOOD SET OF SNAP RING PLIERS otherwise dealing with snap ring is MISERABLE.... And when refilling front axle with fluid it is a slow process, it takes time for fluid to flow across axle to right side of axle (be sure to open air vent) and if you get in hurry it backs up and runs out around the funnel....

/ MF GC 1715 Front Axle Seal Replace #2  
And when refilling front axle with fluid it is a slow process, it takes time for fluid to flow across axle to right side of axle (be sure to open air vent) and if you get in hurry it backs up and runs out around the funnel....
comes out fast too.
not that I have done that on a gc2400,gc1710,gc1723,gc1725m or a MF1532.....
one of these days I'll learn..

/ MF GC 1715 Front Axle Seal Replace #3  
After I did mine-I put in a thicker weight oil. 100 hours later-still no seepage still :)

/ MF GC 1715 Front Axle Seal Replace #6  
Peter must have a direct connection to cdaigle 🥴

/ MF GC 1715 Front Axle Seal Replace #7  
Most use gear oil ...
I know, that's why I asked.

There isn't a substantial difference between the hydraulic oil viscosity, and 85w or 90w gear oil viscosity, at normal temperatures. That's why it doesn't "fix" the leak, no matter how many times people try it.

Most hydraulic transmission oils are around a 30w. The exception to this is the Kubota UDT fluid, which around 20w.

Hydraulic oil is measured on the engine oil scale, and gear oil is measured on the gear oil scale.

If you want a "thicker' oil, you would have to put in 140w gear oil. Which is probably not a good idea. But, I'm always wondering if anyone has actually tried it.

Attachments

• visc.jpg
    visc.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 26
   / MF GC 1715 Front Axle Seal Replace #8  
I’m not concerned about fixing a leak but I am concerned about the bearings/gears in the front axle of my 4x4 fel tractor. I’ve run Amsoil Severe Gear 75-110 synthetic gear lube since new and seems to work fine.

/ MF GC 1715 Front Axle Seal Replace #9  
I’m not concerned about fixing a leak but I am concerned about the bearings/gears in the front axle of my 4x4 fel tractor. I’ve run Amsoil Severe Gear 75-110 synthetic gear lube since new and seems to work fine.
Yes, an EP rated synthetic gear oil gives the highest level of protection on hypoid gears. Some of us run 80w-90 gear oil, in the front diff.

It does appear to be overkill though in this application. There are lots of people running the hydraulic transmission oil in there, (which is technically a gear oil), and it works just fine. We are not seeing failures either way.

Last edited:
   / MF GC 1715 Front Axle Seal Replace #10  
I forgot LOL. I don't remember but I was comfortable with going with gear oil since the front axle doesn't have clutch packs or any fancy pumps in it. So far so good! I will have to check my maintenance log in the garage for what I installed later. I also may have mentioned it in the post I did when I replaced the seals.