Grading MF 35 and a 72" Box Blade

/ MF 35 and a 72" Box Blade #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
MF 35 and a 72\" Box Blade

I am coming close to finalizing a deal on a 6 foot box blade (almost 500 pounds with 6 scarifiers) that I intend to use behind my recently purchased 1962 MF FE 35 with a Perkins diesel. I am expecting there will be no problem with the tractor handling a BB of this size. Any words of wisdom or warning? The tractor currently has turf tires - is this going to be a factor in performance? Good or bad?

Thanks for your comments.
Bob

/ MF 35 and a 72" Box Blade #2  
Re: MF 35 and a 72\" Box Blade

<font color="blue">...a 6 foot box blade (almost 500 pounds with 6 scarifiers) that I intend to use behind my recently purchased 1962 MF FE 35... The tractor currently has turf tires... is this going to be a factor in performance? ... </font>

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The turf tires as ranking from 1 to 10 on a traction scale (10 being the Best) = -1 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

With all 6 scarifiers down and engaged into the ground using "turf tires"... I predict very poor performance... if you can move at all... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

For the best in traction... nothing can replace the proven AG chevron's and bulk weight... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry to say, using those turf's just won't cut it...!

/ MF 35 and a 72" Box Blade #3  

Bob,

My brother and I jointly own a 1964 MF Model 35 with Ag tires that we use extensively on his 158 acre farm. We use a 6' box blade on it often to keep the gravel roads straight. My experience has been that the Model 35 has plenty of power to pull the box blade however traction is always a problem. On dry soil, the tractor does fine but in wet or soft soil, traction becomes a problem. As already noted, I also do not believe the turf tires will fare well trying to pull a box blade with the scarifiers. I think you will have to invest in Ag tires. Unfortunately, the Model 35 would be more effective with a differential lock but I do not believe that it can be configured with one.

Just my 2 cents...

Brian

/ MF 35 and a 72" Box Blade

Thanks Gentlemen
Good info that may lead me to a plan "B". When my friend was trailering the tractor home for me he stoppoed to get gas at a station about 45 minutes from where I live. The station owner also has a landscaping business and a MF 35 and was really interested in the turf tires I had on mine. He made my friend take a busines card and says he has a set of ag tires on rims that he would trade even.

I am thinking this may not be a bad idea for me to check out as none of my applications with the 35 will be turf. As long as the tires are in comparable condition and are loaded, the rims aren't rusted and he does the work to remove and install we may both end up winners.

BTW - my 35 has a differential lock.

Bob

On a post in one of the Other forums there was a comment about using chains with turf tires. Using your 1 to 10 scale with turfs at -1 John, how much difference might chains make? The tractor came with chains when I bought it so, depending on the shape of the potential trade tires .....

Thanks

Bob

/ MF 35 and a 72" Box Blade #6  
Re: MF 35 and a 72\" Box Blade-AG\'s against Turfs!!!

<font color="blue">…your 1 to 10 scale with turfs at -1 John, how much difference might chains make?...</font>

Hi Bob,

Obviously, my -1 turf scale ranking was done as tongue-in-cheek… but honestly… take at look at the thread design of turfs… very close spaced, they load/clog up rather quickly and certainly “not self cleaning” as in the agricultural V designs. The primary advantage of turfs being “extra wide footprint”, and to walk lightly & do not disturb the ground underneath it’s path… super at it’s originally intended design and purpose… for Mowing grass…

Problem being, too many folks expect the “turfs” to wear multiple hats, use them for strenuous loader work (don’t have the plys for strength), or for side brush hogging duty (did I mention, don’t have the plys? for puncture resistant?), finally for plowing snow (threads load up with snow becoming smooth with ice buildup and “where did my traction go?”)…

So, back to chains on turfs… /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif(you probably never thought I’d get there, did ya? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)… Of course they will help… but still not earth shattering, absolutely no substitution like the right AG tires and bulk weight to begin with…

To get maximum usage out of your brand new 6’ boxblade and new-to-you Massey tractor… get rid of those “turfs” and exchange them with that stranger you met for his AG’s… before he changes his mind…/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Try this experiment first however… when you get your boxblade delivered, and while your turfs are still mounted… go to an “average” spot and work your tractor/boxblade/turf combo and start moving dirt from point A-----> to point B… (you might as well stand on your differential lock… cause you’ll need it every second… HONEST!) Now… upon completion of your above experiment… switch to the loaded Ag’s… and do your test again… you’ll think your Massey “grew four wheel drive” on that 2-wd chassis in an instant…/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (Those "Aggressive AG's" are the most traction for tires you'll get over those "Tiptoe-through-the-tulips Turf's"... You’ll now think to yourself… “Man, this is a tractor!”)

If it’s not a day and night difference like I claim… I promise to refund all your money (my big “cents” worth) in full… /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good luck Bob… /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

(ps-those turf chains should not fit those AG tires/wheels-completely different profile/size) (however, should be able to sell them separately to someone)

Thanks again John
Excellent advice as usual. Yes, I knew the -1 was a tongue-in-cheek comment just like when I say I'm surprised you didn't have a picture.

I had the MF 35 out yesterday evening after I finally got the fluids changed and a spin-on oil filter adapter installed. As soon as I travelled through a low area that was muddy I experieinced exactly what you were talking about with the treads clogging up. The chains probably can't compensate for all of that. Maybe the turf guy has a use for an excellent set of chains as well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif - not sure I even want to wait and try your suggested test so your $0.02 money back guarantee is safe.

Thanks again
Bob

/ MF 35 and a 72" Box Blade #8  

Just a note on chains, on turf tires. Granted my stuff is alot smaller, and I doint know how your soil is, but I have a few mucky/loamy parts on my land. The turfs I had would pack up, and start forming big mudballs around the tires.[sometimes a good 2"+ of mud build up /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif] Now I put chains on to try to help. It did work good for a bit. But then it would build up eaven thicker. Seemed the chains were working as a kind of rebar. It would take ages for all the mud to clean out. Changed to AG's, and have not had a problem sence. Love them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16-199612-tirepost.jpg

/ MF 35 and a 72" Box Blade #9  

Hey Bob,

Watch out for chains when the ground is not frozen!! They could dig you in deeper than you know in an instant in loose or wet ground.

Since you are going with a Gannon Box,I guess you must be far enough off of the Oak Ridge Moraine to not be bothered by the boulders that grow around here. I always wondered why no one has ever made one with teeth that spring when a big rock or root is encountered!!

Hey Woodbeef
I think we just got lucky, although I know there are a few big ones around our place is "realtively" rockless. We only have two stone piles and a short run of rocky fencrow on 79 acres while some of our neighbours have two or three stone piles every 5 acres.
Thanks for the good advice on the chains - think I'll be persuing the "swap" potential this week.

Bob