Mf 265 steering issue turning right

/ Mf 265 steering issue turning right #1  

keljan11

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 265, Kubota B6200
Hey all, I have an older MF 265 that is very hard to turn a tight right, but will turn to the left reasonably easy. I have added fluid to the pump a few times in the past. Often it steers okay turning in either direction when I first start the tractor up. Makes me wonder why I can turn left so easily, but to the right I have to work at it.
Could the filter be plugged, or does anybody have any suggestions where to start looking for a solution??

/ Mf 265 steering issue turning right #2  
The reasons might vary a little depending on what type steering your tractor has. Does it have two cylinders, one on each side, or one single cylinder in the center behind the grill?

/ Mf 265 steering issue turning right
The reasons might vary a little depending on what type steering your tractor has. Does it have two cylinders, one on each side, or one single cylinder in the center behind the grill?
Thanx, I'm right in the middle of baling my hay, but should be done today. I'll check the cylinder and get back to you, (hopefully tomorrow)

/ Mf 265 steering issue turning right #4  
I would tend to think steering spindle issue, turn ok when fitst started cause not yet exercised it and its the rightward steering rotation thats binding up after being moved a bit.

/ Mf 265 steering issue turning right #5  
That is easily adjusted. There's a turnbuckle to re-center steering pin in pedestal and pin it self is adjustable in & out to bring power assist in at proper time. If adjustment isn't obvious when you look at pedestal behind grill pick up an IT Manual at Tractor Supply.

/ Mf 265 steering issue turning right #6  
That is easily adjusted. There's a turnbuckle to re-center steering pin in pedestal and pin it self is adjustable in & out to bring power assist in at proper time. If adjustment isn't obvious when you look at pedestal behind grill pick up an IT Manual at Tractor Supply.
It's hydrostatic steering. No turnbuckle on a 265.

/ Mf 265 steering issue turning right #7  
The 265 would be hydrostatic steering. The first few years of production used a single cylinder under the battery and a splinted shaft with a plate arm that goes through the front axle support casting. Later production use a two cylinders on the front axle. If it is the single cylinder type and the relief valve was opening at too low a pressure than it can be hard to steer in the direction that the cylinder rod retracts. Also possible is the intake strainer in the resuviour can get clogged, or the pump could be going bad.

The first thing I would do after checking for anything binding or stuck would be to change the oil and clean the strainer/ filter and then check the relief valve opening pressure.

It would help to know if yours has the early style or late style steering cylinder and linkage arrangement

So I finished haying. There is just one cylinder in the center. I grease the spindles on occasion throughout the year (as I don't use the tractor very often). In low 3rd gear on high idle (14-1500 rpms.), it turns fairly easy. On low idle and high gear, I can barely turn. Blocking it up off the ground, no problems at all (of course). Btw, there is a fel on the front, which adds weight on the steering.

Last edited:
I have picked up a shop manual, but it says there were 3 types of pumps used. I don't find it helpful except to show how to remove and repair the pumps. No filter numbers to order parts, etc. As I live 2 hrs away from the nearest dealer supplier (and its not a MF dealer). I'll look for another manual that may be more helpful, though.
Thanx