Buying Advice MF 2615

/ MF 2615 #1  

Surgeon

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1428
I am looking for a new tractor to use mainly for mowing, logging and some loader work (mainly loading pickup trucks). One of the tractors I am considering is the MF 2615 with the Syncro Shuttle 8x8 transmission. I am a little gun shy about a mechanical shuttle. On one hand the tractor seems somewhat crude but very tough but the mechanical shuttle seems like it will be wear prone compared to a hydraulic shuttle. Anyone have any experience with these tractors or the mechanical shuttle? I drove it at the dealer the other night and every time I I changed direction (at a complete stop) with the shuttle the tractor literally rolled an inch or two to accommodate the shift. If I had the loader in close to the truck like I am used to it would have rolled into the truck. Currently I have a 1428 hydro but I was raised on 8N's so I am used to both ends of the spectrum. I have not driven a hydraulic shuttle yet.

/ MF 2615 #2  
Its a very simple design with few moving parts - from a reliability stand point you should have no issues. Hydraulic power shuttles are nice too because they eliminate the need for clutching - the down side is you spend more $ up front. I've gotten spoiled on hydraulic power shuttles but I do a lot loader work.