MF 135 Steering Valve

/ MF 135 Steering Valve #1  

MickMorley

Tractor
MF 135, 89 555
Hello, I have a 1972 Massey 135 vineyard model (diesel). I have a steering box problem and looking for some advice since it could be very costly.

The issue started when all of the steering fluid would leak out of the breather on top of the steering box. If I would put fluid back in it would steer again until all the fluid leaked out. However that only worked a few times until it stopped powering steering all together even with fluid in it.

I took it apart from the steering column down, and found that the steering valve actually had a penetration in the wall. See the pictures. My question is, is this the whole problem? I'd hate to spend ~$600 on a new steering valve and it still have problems. All of the seals and o-ring look good in that portion of the box. The springs were mostly busted in the steering valve, I wonder if that caused the breakage in the wall.

Nick

IMG_2677.jpgIMG_2678.jpgIMG_2679.jpg

/ MF 135 Steering Valve #2  
I have what looks like the same Steering valve assembly in a 58 202. A piece of broken spring could cause that damage if it got into the valve body. Was the steering still tight and precise before the failure and while there was still fluid in it?

/ MF 135 Steering Valve #3  
Does it have power-assist steering - with the two small cylinders on the front axle?
My MF40 has this system - I ask because I need to dismantle the valve assembly as well to cure leaks. I just recently did the two cylinders.

/ MF 135 Steering Valve
I have what looks like the same Steering valve assembly in a 58 202. A piece of broken spring could cause that damage if it got into the valve body. Was the steering still tight and precise before the failure and while there was still fluid in it?

Yes those were the symptoms and then it completely stopped.

Does it have power-assist steering - with the two small cylinders on the front axle?
My MF40 has this system - I ask because I need to dismantle the valve assembly as well to cure leaks. I just recently did the two cylinders.

I believe I did not have power-assist. I did not have the cylinders on the front axle. My hydraulic hoses went into the steering box. But I went a different route. With the ideas from some users at yesterday's tractor, I ripped out the steering shaft and valve, blocked off the steering box, and installed an orbital (eaton) valve. I then mounted a steering cylinder on the driver's side radius arm and used a heim joint to steer the knuckle.

/ MF 135 Steering Valve #5  
It’s been a while folks, but I am in the process of repairing my MF 135 power steering. I also have discovered that one of my springs has broken. Does anyone know a source of replacement springs. I’m certainly not wanting to purchase a new valve assembly. I hope I got this post in the correct place, and I appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

• 67173337-26F4-45A0-B819-98F84AF54327.jpeg
    67173337-26F4-45A0-B819-98F84AF54327.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 113
   / MF 135 Steering Valve #6  
Well, you posted in a 3 year old thread... You might have gotten better traction starting your own, but see how it plays out.

I can't help much on the spring specifically. Have you checked the parts book on your machine to see if that spring was available as a service part? If so, then your Massey dealer could hook you up.

If it isn't available, there are a number of spring manufacturers that could do it, but unless you can take really precise measurements, it would be difficult to find a match.

I guarantee you don't want to consider having it custom made. I went through that with a weird spring for an obscure brake system a few years ago, and I can assure you, a new valve would be cheaper...

If you do come up with it, I'd suggest perhaps doing all 5 so they're all the same. If one went, the other 4 are likely tired too.

/ MF 135 Steering Valve #7  
Thank you, Toolslinger. I figured I should have started a new thread. Nonetheless, I appreciate your input.

They sold repair kits back in the day that included the springs, but I have not been able to find one. My nearest Massey Ferguson dealer said, “Good luck finding one of those!”

I started researching springs last night, and I’m going to take a few measurements this morning. If I can find something very similar, I’ll just get five of them, like you say, and see how it goes.

Thank you!

/ MF 135 Steering Valve #8  
Well, in that case, I dealt with Century Spring. I don't honestly recall the process, but it wasn't memorably difficult. I'm not seeing a good web interface, but it might be there. I've got their paper catalog here someplace, and it's pretty extensive.

I've also got "thespringstore.com" bookmarked in my browser for some reason I can't recall. Looks like a reasonable web interface, but I've never dealt with them that I know of.

Good luck!

/ MF 135 Steering Valve #9  
I found them. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• A2E9464D-0F3C-4F1B-833A-3984C61D32B3.png
    A2E9464D-0F3C-4F1B-833A-3984C61D32B3.png
    587.3 KB · Views: 122