Meteor Snowblower Shaft not locking to pto

/ Meteor Snowblower Shaft not locking to pto #1  

AllanMacCB

Tractor
2017 1754 Massey
Hello,
I just picked up a 2022 Meteor SB 72. It has the ring type connector not the sliding pin type connection to the pto.

I have a 2017 1754 Massey.

I slide the ring back and the entire pto goes into the ‘ring’ but it will not lock when I slide it back to the grooves. It only snaps back when it is just about off the pto .

Any tips ?
Thank you,
Allan

/ Meteor Snowblower Shaft not locking to pto #2  
Swap the pto shaft?

Does the stub shaft coming out of your pto drive not stick out far enough to clear the coupler latch on the end of the blower's pto shaft?

I'd just look at a replacement pto shaft from local (tractor supply, etc) and swap it to a coupler that works on your tractor.

/ Meteor Snowblower Shaft not locking to pto #3  
You sure you slid it all the way on? A little light tapping with a mallet can help.

/ Meteor Snowblower Shaft not locking to pto #4  
I have the pin type PTO shaft connector. I've experienced the same problem - the shaft will not lock onto the PTO stub.

The SLIGHTEST amount of dirt, sand, muck will prevent this locking action. Be sure the PTO stub is spotless and lightly lubed - same for the shaft locking mechanism.

/ Meteor Snowblower Shaft not locking to pto #5  
I have a Meteor with that connector, make sure your PTO shaft on tractor is clean and well greased, make sure the blower coupler clean and well greased, slide on so the coupler goes past the "groove" then pull it back, should go on easily.

If it's not, something is dirty, rusted or broken.

/ Meteor Snowblower Shaft not locking to pto #6  
I do EXACTLY as Farmer495 indicates. Hold the ring back - slide the PTO shaft onto the stub and forward until it makes contact with the tractor OR just stops. Release the ring - pull on the PTO shaft like you were removing it. It should slide slightly off and you should hear the CLICK and the ring mechanism lock onto the groove on the PTO stub. To help this operation - lightly tap on the shaft when it is all the way forward on the PTO stub.

/ Meteor Snowblower Shaft not locking to pto #7  
Have you tried to clean it out with carb cleaner and then regrease?
Dirt will stop it from working properly

willy

/ Meteor Snowblower Shaft not locking to pto #8  
So....... have you got it to work???

/ Meteor Snowblower Shaft not locking to pto #9  
I do EXACTLY as Farmer495 indicates. Hold the ring back - slide the PTO shaft onto the stub and forward until it makes contact with the tractor OR just stops. Release the ring - pull on the PTO shaft like you were removing it. It should slide slightly off and you should hear the CLICK and the ring mechanism lock onto the groove on the PTO stub. To help this operation - lightly tap on the shaft when it is all the way forward on the PTO stub.
I have both styles, ring and pin and I keep them soaked down with PBlaster all the time and grease on the female splines. They like to be lubricated often.