Meteor 68 Gear box

/ Meteor 68 Gear box #1  

nwhitehill

Tractor
Kioti NX4510
I have a MK Martin Meteor 68 pull type snowblower. When using it the other day here in Southern NH to clear some wet, heavy snow it dug deep into the mud of my gravel driveway. The PTO shear bolt did it's job and sheared but I'm still unable to turn the impeller (fan) on the PTO side of the gear box. 've made sure there isn't still some kind of blockage between the impeller and housing. I've tried using a 4 foot bar to rotate the impeller but no luck. I'm thinking the gear box got destroyed before the shear bolt broke. The manual calls out P/N: 36132.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be if it isn't the gear box? If it is the gear box, what an equivalent part number / source might be?

Thank you for your help and input.

/ Meteor 68 Gear box #2  
Assuming the fan also has a shear pin, I think I would take that out and confirm that the fan spins freely. I know you checked the housing for debris, but is it possible you may have overlooked a piece of gravel?
On my blower there is also the auger chain drive and sprockets that are potential problems, but it's hard to imagine dirt, mud, or gravel getting in there and stopping the whole thing.
At least with the fan out of the equation you can more isolate the gear box.

/ Meteor 68 Gear box #3  
If the shaft that drives the auger chain has a shear bolt I would remove it as well.
Should help isolate the output side of the 90 degree box.

Good Luck, here is hoping the box has not failed.

/ Meteor 68 Gear box
I took the shear bolt out of the auger side and the auger assembly moves freely. The problem is definitely in the gear box / fan area.

/ Meteor 68 Gear box #5  
Are you sure a small rock hasn't lodged behind the blower fan?

/ Meteor 68 Gear box #6  
You going to have to remove the gear box cover and try to
turn the gear box shaft from there and if it does not spin
you have bigger problems.

/ Meteor 68 Gear box
Assuming the fan also has a shear pin, I think I would take that out and confirm that the fan spins freely. I know you checked the housing for debris, but is it possible you may have overlooked a piece of gravel?
On my blower there is also the auger chain drive and sprockets that are potential problems, but it's hard to imagine dirt, mud, or gravel getting in there and stopping the whole thing.
I pulled the shear pin for the auger side of the works. I can spin the auger with one finger. The problem is definitely the fan / gear box combo. The fan bolts directly to a stub shaft that is directly coupled to the gear box, according to the manual.

/ Meteor 68 Gear box
Between work and some of the coldest temperatures we have had this winter in New Hampshire I have not taken it completely apart yet. I will let everyone know what I find when I do get to work on it again. Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions so far though.

/ Meteor 68 Gear box
The fan does not have a shear bolt. The closest protection for that would be the PTO shaft shear bolt. The auger drive / shear bolt is down stream of the fan.