metal crates for wood. too heavy?

/ metal crates for wood. too heavy? #1  

deanwerden

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Cub Cadet sc2400
Those metal crate things that have tanks inside, you know. anyone with a 25hp tractor able to lift one full of wood? I'm guessing not

/ metal crates for wood. too heavy? #2  
The crates themselves are fairly light, you can move them empty by yourself. The ones I use hold about a face cord (1/3 cord) and I can move dry wood around easily with my 35 hp TYM tractor. What does your 25 hp tractor have for a lift capacity on your fel? Green wood might be too heavy.

/ metal crates for wood. too heavy? #3  
Horsepower isn't as important as tractor weight for lift capacities. Assuming you're talking about the tractor in your profile, I got this data for the FEL from Tractordata.com:

Lift to full height (at pin): 700 lbs [317 kg]
Lift to full height (at 500mm): 550 lbs [249 kg]

You can lift more than that if all you're trying to do is get it off the ground and I've heard of a lot of tractors exceeding their ratings. You can also increase the hydraulic pressure to get a bit more lift if you're feeling adventurous. But you should make sure you have a lot of ballast on the rear as counter-weight or you'll stand it up on the front wheels trying to lift heavy.

Green wood weighs 4-5000#/cord. Dry wood is around 3-4000#/cord. So that gives you an idea of what you can do.

/ metal crates for wood. too heavy? #4  
FWIW, Joey's tractor will lift either 1241 lbs or 2235 lbs at the pins to full height depending on which model of loader he has on it.

/ metal crates for wood. too heavy?
These measure 40 by 48 by 48 so basically a face cord or 1000 pounds. that's why I'm asking. Real life my tractor won't lift 700 pounds. it will lift a 550 ish lb snowmobile about 2 feet max so I could only pit about a half face cord in these crates by the sounds of it

/ metal crates for wood. too heavy?
I can't pick up my backhoe which I believe is 800 pounds and I sling it right at the pins basically

shipping wieght on a woods ground breaker 6000 is 591 without a bucket so say 650

/ metal crates for wood. too heavy? #7  
I would guess a 25 hp tractor won't lift it. My machines will lift around three thousand something pounds and I routinely carry wood in such containers. I always get the impression that there is some serious weight there. Of course it also depends on the type and moisure content of the wood.

/ metal crates for wood. too heavy? #8  
Consider pallet forks on the 3pt hitch, should have more lifting capacity back there.
I wish I could find some of those basket pallets. I want them for the same purpose.

/ metal crates for wood. too heavy? #9  
FWIW, Joey's tractor will lift either 1241 lbs or 2235 lbs at the pins to full height depending on which model of loader he has on it.

Parkanzy - My loader will lift 2235, I have no problem with the full tote of firewood. In the pic it is about 4 inches off the ground, I like to keep my center of gravity low.

20150322_160601_resized.jpg

/ metal crates for wood. too heavy? #10  
All depends on the tractor I have a 25hp kioti with a woods 1009 loader (which is probably about the biggest you can put on a tractor that size) I have plenty of ballast though which is important but I can pick up one of those totes full of green wood