metal chimney liner brushing

/ metal chimney liner brushing #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Last year I put in a new chimney lined with sectional stainless chimney liner. It's insulated. I produced maybe a gallon of creosote but it had already fallen into the clean out door. I put a light in the chimney to check out the liner and there was no creosote on the liner. It was just blackened. I have an epa stove that burnt from Oct - May using about 4.5 cords and was wondering if these liners need sweeping or do they tend not to collect creosote like a regular clay liner?

/ metal chimney liner brushing #2  
I have a 6" metalbestos pipe connected to a very efficient Hearthstone soapstone stove, and I pull the inside pipe off every year and inspect. In 7 years, I've never had to brush the chimney, I just vacuum the top of the stove out. I think it helps that I let the fire run really hot once in a while. I think seasoning and type of wood play a big factor in it as well. As a former firefighter, I saw many a chimney fire in both block chimneys and metal however.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ metal chimney liner brushing #3  
Mine runs hotter than the clay liners and doesn't need cleaning as often. I burn about 5 to 7 cord of wood a year, almost all of it lodgepole pine. With that kind of wood, I still need to clean the chimney at least once a year. I usually do it twice.

/ metal chimney liner brushing #4  
If you do you brush it make sure you get one of the "poly" bristle brushes for stainless liners and go carefully if you have any bends. Metal bristle brushes are a little agressive and can damage stainless liners if used to vigorously.

Q

/ metal chimney liner brushing #5  
i have a stainless chimney pipe i sweep it every yr with a 6inch brush. very little dust comes out so i realy dont need to clean it but i will do it anyway.

/ metal chimney liner brushing #6  
"It all depends". I don't think it is a function of the liner so much as it is your burning practice and well seasoned wood. We went 4 fours without cleaning and when I had a sweep here for other work I had him clean it out even though he said it didn't need it. Very little came out.

OTOH if you run smoldering fires and/or poorly seasoned wood, I'm sure you will collect lots of creosote.

Of course, a clay liner tends to be colder and collects more creosote, especially if you let the fire go out and let it cool.

/ metal chimney liner brushing
"It all depends". I don't think it is a function of the liner so much as it is your burning practice and well seasoned wood. We went 4 fours without cleaning and when I had a sweep here for other work I had him clean it out even though he said it didn't need it. Very little came out.

OTOH if you run smoldering fires and/or poorly seasoned wood, I'm sure you will collect lots of creosote.

Of course, a clay liner tends to be colder and collects more creosote, especially if you let the fire go out and let it cool.

Thank you to all more experienced with this type of exhaust. I'm wondering if the shape and slickness of the pipe has something to do with it as well as diameter. Creosote doesn't seem to stick to this 6" round liner. It falls off. I burn 24/7 with the exception of the shoulder months. Moisture content of wood should be respectably correct as it is seasoned for at least 2 years (red oak mostly). This material is new to me and did not know what to expect and was surprised that there was no "clinging " creosote on the sides of this flue as there was on my former 11x7 clay one. It seemed to have "brushed" itself. I'll keep an eye on it and see what prevails.