Metal buildings and Cell signals

/ Metal buildings and Cell signals #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
So we 'discovered' that despite having decent cell signals on our property, in the new house, not so much.

So, I've been looking into cell boosters for the house. Anyone use one and have any recommendations on makes/models or features. Like most people, we want to get the most for the least.

/ Metal buildings and Cell signals #2  
I would try wifi first as the cheapest method. If you are needing the phone at a seperate building, a wifi extender. Might have to buy a coax extention cable and to place the antenna outside through the wall.
Low E Windows also present a problem to cell signals. Do you get a cell signal when you are next to a non low E-window?

/ Metal buildings and Cell signals
Nice idea, but the WiFi needs a signal, too. The first idea was to use the cell for internet access. Starlink might be an option some day. Our house and shop are both metal.

/ Metal buildings and Cell signals #4  
I picked up a low end "We-boost" about 6 years ago (?) for about $80 so I could make cell phone calls from my living room without walking out to the front porch. Gives me about a 10 dBm boost.
But with WiFi calling I can now make calls from my living room.
However down in my shops (100% metal buildings) no-go. I refer to them as my Faraday Cage.
So I'd recommend a Weboost and good internet (wifi calling).

/ Metal buildings and Cell signals #5  
When I was in business I used Wilson Electronics cell boosters. Even with the booster I had to stand by a window to get a cell signal at one shop.

/ Metal buildings and Cell signals #6  
I second wifi calling inside of a metal building. That's the only way I can make calls on my phone at work.

Before getting wifi, they tried the cell booster. Didn't work very well unless you were right by it.

/ Metal buildings and Cell signals
We have the house pre-wired with Cat-6 Ethernet to avoid dead spots for internet access. I am no expert, but I am much more experienced and trained with computers and networking than other technical skills. I can hardwire my desktop and will have Ethernet jacks throughout, I can also plug in my laptop directly. This will keep the WiFi bandwidth available for phones and other devices without Ethernet ports. There are about 15' between the shop/garage and the house. The mechanicals room is nearest the shop (almost like I planned it that way). I will probably run Cat 6 or 7 between the buildings and the have a separate router distribute WiFi in the shop. I will hardwire the TV in the shop...need to see videos on lots of how-to stuff.

Big issues to solve are finding a good internet provider and boosting the cell signal. Given our location, my choices are Starlink or other Satellite based internet or Verizon or similar cell based. There is no fiber or DSL in this rural area. 7 miles to the nearest town and it is less than 5k people. Only about 6 properties on the entire road and the smallest is 15 acres. They are not likely to run cable, fiber or DSL anytime soon.

The cheapest solution seems to be finding a good cell booster that can effectively be my ISP. Verizon has that service. Once I get a strong signal in the house, it can run through the wires and wireless. Plan B will be Starlink with the same distribution plan.

/ Metal buildings and Cell signals #8  
I started out with a poor cell phone reception (something like -120db). Got a high end Wilson repeater about 28' up, did not improve the situation. Finally got a land line. Then got Hughes net for internet, cell over internet - text messaging seemed to work reasonably well, voice not so much. Then got Starlink! I can now use my cell phone in the house and even use the video calling features.

If Verizon works, that would be good. Starlink will work for what you want to do. Other options, probably not.

/ Metal buildings and Cell signals #9  
You could try a wireless-home-phone device and mount the antenna outside. That way you can use your old land-line phones on hard wired RJ-11 telephone cables.

/ Metal buildings and Cell signals #10  
I'm pro Starlink. Getting phone signal or WiFi from towers or cable is antiquated. In 2004 I talked on a Cell phone in the middle of the Iraq desert. Sattelite all the way.

Problem is our government still wants to throw money at towers and cable. My small local phone company received a $15M grant to bury fiber optics. Didn't improve our WiFi at all.....