Metal Building

/ Metal Building #1  

kwbretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 485, John Deere 5425, & John Deere Skid Steer 333D
I'm thinking about buying a pre-engineered metal building, about 30×50. I got a price on a 30×48 building from Olympic Metal Buildings. This building was ordered then the buyer didn't take it. It listed for $15,500 but they will sell it to me for $11,500 including shipping to Arkansas, & no taxes. I think they will come down a little lower but not much. Need some opinions on this deal / building. I don't know anything about Olympic Metal buildings as far as how good / bad they are. Need to make a decision in a day or two.

/ Metal Building #2  
I haven't heard of Olympic, where are they located? There's a lot of variety in metal buildings that can influence prices. Metal gauge, number of entries and type of entries, insulation package, windload, truss design etc. etc.

You'd need to get pretty detailed and get things to apples to apples for comparison shopping. Assuming it's at least a 10' sidewall and has at least one roll-up and one personnel door and is a bolt together using sections and profiles (rather than pipe roof trusses), the price sounds in-line. Plan to insulate it, if you really want a nice building that's useable year round.

/ Metal Building
The building has 12' walls, 1- 16'W × 10' H opening & 1- personnel door field located. The doors are not included. The sheeting is 26 gauge. The structure is made of I beams. The structure, perlyns, etc. is galvanized. I think the factory is out of Pennsylvania. I do plan on insulating because as you mentioned it gets cold in Arkansas.

/ Metal Building #4  
Sounds like a great deal if the structure is actually galvanized.

/ Metal Building #5  
Red flags go off when I hear of a deal from somebody selling sheds and buildings. In my experience, it's a sales gimmick to entice a buyer into thinking he is getting a great deal and that he needs to hurry up and buy it before somebody else does. I've noticed over time that there are certain companies that do this every month. I've also seen where there are different companies doing this in different locations with the same add, just a different name for the company. Some things to watch out for is if they are just a reseller. There are a lot of metal building companies that are just sales offices. They make the sale, get their commission and then pass you on to the manufacturer who ships the order. The problem that comes up is nobody is responsible for any problems once they get paid. Another concern is that how do you know exactly what you are getting? What do you do when you start to put it together and find out that something is missing?

Go to several local metal companies and ask then what they have to offer similar to that deal. Muellers is my favorite, but here in Tyler, a town of one hundred thousand people, we have 3 metal building manufactures to choose from. I would imagine that there are also several to choose from in your area.

Eddie

/ Metal Building #6  
Is this a round quanset hut or an A frame?

/ Metal Building
Thanks for the feedback, it's great. I was thinking the same thing about them trying to pressure me into a rushed decision. That rarely works out well.
I'm familiar with Muller building, they have a office just out of Baton Rouge Louisiana & another office not far after crossing into Texas on I-10. I travel between Baton Rouge & Houston every weekend.
I just need to go sit down with them, take my time, set the building up the way I want it & see what it costs.

/ Metal Building
The building they quoted me was an "A" frame, 2 on 12 pitch, beams made out of galvanized I beams. It sure sounds good.

/ Metal Building #9  
Eddie said it best. All sorts of red flags. Just the galvanizing on that much material would cost thousands so I have a hard time believing that even the I beams are galvanized at that price unless it is some sort of versa tube type (similar to carport) slip fit structure that uses square tubing.

Mueller is a great company to work with. I used them a bunch when I lived in OK and TX. They can supply galvanized perlins but they are expensive. We used them on boat docks to prevent corrosion. I even had them bend me some custom galvanized channels for a job in South Dakota last year.