Metal Building "Sweats"

/ Metal Building "Sweats" #1  

JDGREEN4ME

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, GT 225, GT 275
Sorry for all the questions, we are putting a building up and I would like to try and do it as close to right as possible. Looking at pole buildings (metal) and I've had guys tell me they will sweat and others tell me no way will that be a problem. Considering 1/2" insulation for roof to help prevent sweating but if it isn't needed I could use that money on other items for the building.

/ Metal Building "Sweats" #2  
Wost will be some snow on roof in early spring or if you heat.
You'll think it is raining inside.
Insulation, but better yet is good ventilation to remove the moist air, but that also removes the heat as well.
If you plan on a ceiling; eg an attic then you can vent the attic conventionally and there should be no sweating or condensation.

/ Metal Building "Sweats" #3  
My builder lined the roof with tivek and it's been fine the bubble wrap works too

tom

/ Metal Building "Sweats" #4  
It only sweats if you work it hard :D

It will sweat without some type of barrier, or vent.

/ Metal Building "Sweats"
It only sweats if you work it hard :D

It will sweat without some type of barrier, or vent.

I plan on a 30' ridge vent, so that will help with the "sweats"?

/ Metal Building "Sweats" #6  
I forgot also add vapor barrier under the floor to prevent moisture from coming up through it

tom

/ Metal Building "Sweats" #7  
My builder lined the roof with tivek and it's been fine the bubble wrap works too

tom
What he said. Have the bubble wrap with foil on both sides installed under the roof tin. End of the "rain". Minimal cost, max return. Reduces the rain noise significantly as well. The birds will leave the bubble wrap alone while other forms of roof insulation will attract them if your ceiling is to remain open.

On that note, lay down a strip of powder coated chicken wire at the peak to keep the birds out of the peak area should you ventilate it. Place the wire on top of the trusses. The powder coated may be hard to find but it seemed to last longer than galvanized.

I had a barn built some years back in PA by a builder close to your area, Dan Smucker. He was the one who recommended the above options. Darn glad I listened to him.

/ Metal Building "Sweats" #8  
I plan on a 30' ridge vent, so that will help with the "sweats"?

Yes a ridge vent will help as long as you have overhangs with vented soffit, or have gable end vents.
As PILOON said ventilation is important, Also the vapor barrier under the slab suggestion is important it will help cut down on moisture coming through the floor. A building without proper vapor barriers and ventillation will have anything metal including your tools, cars, tractor etc. covered with moisture at ceartain times of the yr. Good perimeter drains will help too.

/ Metal Building "Sweats" #9  
I knew a someone years back that had a trans am. He put it up for the winter, by putting it on blocks and covering it with a heavy tarp{sitting on gravel}. The problem he had not thought of was ground moisture, the tarp actually caused more grief. It basically rained under the tarp, and the moisture sucked to the bottom of the car.