Message Munge

/ Message Munge
Thanks for your incredibly quick responses, Muhammad!

You don't have to lecture me about Netscape. One of the key factors that has kept me from launching my new business is that it is virtually impossible to create web pages with any sophistication at all that will display and work properly on all browsers and all platforms. It's not even possible to accurately determine which browser/platform the viewer is using in all cases (even if you were inclined to write separate code for each).

You've done it right. Give first priority to IE on Windows and you're 90% home free. I'm a staunch Mac advocate and Netscape used to be the better browser, but now that I'm starting a business I realized that I had to buy a PC and start using IE (which is now clearly better, anyway).

The painful irony here is that since my PC is brand new and my 3 PowerMacs are old, the PC is, like, 5 times faster than my Macs. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

HarvSig2.gif

/ Message Munge #13  
<font color=blue>...it is virtually impossible to create web pages with any sophistication at all that will display and work properly on all browsers and all platforms.</font color=blue>

Tell me about it. Netscape requires so much more coding to get a similar result... and even then there are still differences.

But... with that, our next forum update should display as close to exactly the same in both as we're going to get. Keeping it simple. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I think we're at about 85% IE (most 5.0+) and about 12% Netscape (thankfully most of those users have 4.7+). But, since 12% of our users adds up to thousands per month, we can't ignore them... so while some things look slightly different, we certainly want all users to see a similar site.

msig.gif
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Muhammad on 9/4/00 11:36 AM.</FONT></P>

/ Message Munge #14  
My messages used to do that too, then mysteriously stopped. It got to the point that I would "trick" it so after my message I would type xxxxxxxxx just to give it something to garble without affecting my message. Sometimes I would not correct it and my message would end in ewrp98u23 or something.

Maybe you just have to post a few more messages so the machine starts to feel comfortable with you!

del

/ Message Munge #15  
Heck, I might even learn something some day (even if there is only a slim chance)./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif But I know I'll never remember that "solipsistic" word./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Message Munge #16  
Dang guys tone it down/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I've got the dictionary on my lap as I write this reply just to try and keep up with you'all.
Good thing is it does have alot of pictures--the dictionary that is!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
But I can say this my vocabulary has been widened today and it sure is pretty narrow so alittle dictionary work never hurts./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Gordon

/ Message Munge #17  
Wow! I just confirmed that I am NOT a computer geek! While I work with them everyday, write DCL Script, do some mumps stuff, I am NOT a programmer. (They're all nuts, I'm not!) I didn't know the 'munge' word! Leaves me out of the geek catagory. Gonna be a good Monday after all!