Members in their 70s?

/ Members in their 70s? #21  
I'm 84. My advice if you live on a farm or an acreage, is that you design it an maintain it such that when you reach your golden years that it will require minimum maintenance. Get all the trees removed, trimmed, all of the dirt work done, all of the landscaping done, all of the lawn sodding and leveling done, and basically get it set up to where all you will have to do is keep the the mower running.

Good advice/ I'm still doing ALL of that, but I'm only 77. ;)

/ Members in their 70s? #22  
1. Marry not for your love for her nor for her sex. Marry if she 1) loves you without qualifications or limitations; and 2) will bring acceptance of your means and capabilities. Appraise what she will bring to the union - good health, sharp mind, hard worker ? if you fail to marry as a young man, have a pre-nuptial for any later-in-life marriage. Today, marriage is not a pre-condition to anything. Tread with reservation.

2. Treat your body gently, for you have only one. Less than moderate drink, exposure, demands. Low salt, no smoke. Watch your weight - your eating habits will catch up to you when you're older.

3. Work diligently. If you must work for another, then work for yourself at night. There is little profit to be made from working for another.

4. Choose your friends wisely, for it is by them, that you will be judged. Once chosen, hold them close. They will be your support, more than family, through the tough times.

5. Spend with hesitancy. Credit was introduced to serve the impulse buyer and for the benefit of the vendor. Finance real estate and that which will buy assets that can be used to make more money. Everything else - be a cash buyer.

6. Borrowing from Shakespeare - "Neither a lender nor a borrower be." Lend to a friend and there is danger to lose both your money, and your friend.

/ Members in their 70s? #23  
Well said.

/ Members in their 70s? #25  
In addition to the above set up a work out routine to keep up strength and muscle tone. As you get older that will become very important and will allow you to be more active later in life. Include some balancing exercises as well. Better balance means less risk of falls

/ Members in their 70s? #26  
And another one is to get doctor check ups on a periodic basis and review blood lab work to check for diabetes, cholesterol etc. Be proactive with corrections to medications and change in exercises to keep good health.

/ Members in their 70s? #27  
get it set up to where all you will have to do is keep the the mower running.
And try to keep it so you mow the minimum.
If your NOT scared of heights (see a lot of keep off ladders advice) keep climbing - but KNOW your limits and always try to keep 3 points on firm territory.
I'm only 71 but about 5 years ago I was starting to get down off a shed roof (~15' up) and the ladder only stuck a little above the roof, I couldn't do my normal "bend over, jump on the ladder".
Now I make sure I can get a good hold on the ladder.
If I could give advice to my younger self of 10 years ago it would be pay more attention to "small injuries".
My twisted ankles and pulled muscles seem to take longer to heal.
Your old enough now to plan on taking more time for jobs, so take pride in your work. Just be happy and proud you can still do it.

/ Members in their 70s? #28  
I was so bull headed (still am) there's nothing I could say to me that would make much difference. 😞

/ Members in their 70s? #29  
Spend less time drinking and chasing women. It is seldom profitable.
LOL what is the old saying? I spent a fortune on women and wine, the rest I just wasted..............

Best,

ed

/ Members in their 70s? #30  
At age 50, I found I didn't want to jump out of a pickup bed.

I took up recreational soccer with the other oldsters. Also I started snow skiing , A LOT! (winter only ;-)

In 3 days I'll be 70. All the old guys hung up their cleats, so that died out. I still snow ski..
Big thing is to "eat right", keep active, and don't put on the tonnage.

Yesterday I got the motorbike out for the first run of this riding season. Went to buy a replacement battery for one of my other motorbikes. Old age set in, and I left the key in the ignition and turned to on, when I went into the store. (Stupid safety interlocks with the side stand get's me all too often. "breaks my routine" I guess.)

Bike wouldn't start when I came back, and there is no kick start. (Honda VFR) I was faced with bump starting, and didn't know if I could do it. Took three tries, But I didn't need to call AAA for a jump ;-) I was hot and sweaty in my relief though ;-)

Now I rationalize labor saving equipment in comparison to medical expenses. DAMN! tools and equipment are CHEAP! ;-) Compare a $40K tractor to a week in the hospital with an injury. My wife even see's it that way.!! WIN!

I need to sweep the chimney one day soon. A mild winter, I'm sure it's needed. Up the ladder, across the roof and then hitch up to the flue with a 20 pound weight, flue brush and length of pull rope. It needs to be done. I'll wipe the soles of my sneakers with a gasoline wetted rag before I go up. Slippery feet are no fun.

Keep your leg strength. The barbell is on the floor downstiars. I try to do a lunge or two every day. Not heavy, just do it. There is that row of stone that I dug out last fall that needs moving into position for the patio. That should take care of my "workouts" for this summer. ;-)