measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting?

/ measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting? #1  

JCoastie

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE
Am I correct in thinking that hydraulic pressure 'should' be the same at every tractor accessory fitting? I understand that flow may be different, but is pressure the same throughout?
I see people measuring PSI directly at the loader valve, and my fittings on that valve are smaller than the standard 1/2 ag-poppet couplers that I have easy access to at the 3rd function grapple hookup and also the rear remote couplers.

Is there any reason not to measure pressure at the 3rd function hookup or the rear remote?

I don't have an issue, just something I want to measure for knowledge.

/ measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting? #2  
I am wondering the same thing I want to test the pressure on my Kubota.

/ measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting? #3  
Pressure within a contained circuit will be the same or very similar but it must be a contained circuit.
As an example: installing a gauge in the power beyond circuit of a FEL will not show any pressure when the loader is operated. Now if power beyond feeds the rear remote and rear remotes are used it will show pressure since in the same circuit.

Hope that explanation makes sense.

/ measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting? #4  
Typically the first hydraulic control ( FEL?) will contain the pressure relief valve that controls system pressure... its also possible there might be a pressure relief/control valve at hydraulic pump output, its all tractor dependent ... Get a pressure gauge and short hose and QC that fits your FEL hoses, you can disconnect the FEL hose and and add the pressure gauge in, and hit control valve handle, you can deadhead the pressure for several seconds and get a reading of "system" pressure without doing any damage to system.... Aalso good to know what your tractors system pressure is, usually found in owners manual...

Scroll down to hydraulic pressure test gauge..

/ measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting?
if the FEL control contains the relief valve, and hence controls the system pressure, I should still be able to check that pressure at any accessory port right? I sure would like to use a 1/2" quick connect, and I just can't do that at the FEL, they are 3/8" connectors, I can however use 1/2" at the 3rd function and the rear remotes.

/ measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting? #6  
5000 psi hydraulic gauges are inexpensive. Less so than a couple of fittings, hose, and disconnect. I have a T fitting on the FEL control valve and the gauge just lives there. It's been there so many years I forget why we put it in originally. It is interesting just how little pressure it takes to lift a FEL bucket full of gravel.

No reason why you couldn't put several permanent gauges in the system.

/ measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting? #7  
5000 psi hydraulic gauges are inexpensive. Less so than a couple of fittings, hose, and disconnect. I have a T fitting on the FEL control valve and the gauge just lives there. It's been there so many years I forget why we put it in originally. It is interesting just how little pressure it takes to lift a FEL bucket full of gravel.

No reason why you couldn't put several permanent gauges in the system.
I did the same thing for a different reason. I left the gauge on so I would know where it was next time I need it. :ROFLMAO:

/ measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting? #8  
I did the same thing for a different reason. I left the gauge on so I would know where it was next time I need it. :ROFLMAO:
What have you learned from watching the gauge? Anything interesting?

/ measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting? #9  
What have you learned from watching the gauge? Anything interesting?
I really don’t watch it often as it is too far away from me while on the tractor to see. I do look at it when I lift my pallet to fuel the tractors as I am standing beside it when lifting. It takes about 1,800 PSI to lift that.

/ measure hydraulic pressure at any fitting?
interesting about leaving one in the system, you can know when you are approaching the limit, never though about that.

To the point about having multiple gauges in the system, that brings me back to my original question, which I still don't quite get. Assuming the gauge is dead headed, i.e. the end of the line, is the pressure the same throughout the system, so as long as that valve was actuated, the pressure should read the same whether it was measured at the loader valve, rear remote valve, or 3rd function valve?