McCormick Super W-4 Forklift

/ McCormick Super W-4 Forklift #1  

jdfarme

Hi, I have a '53 IH Super W-4 "special industrial" tractor with a factory-installed Tracto forklift. Operator and steering wheel are placed backwards compared to a "normal" W-4. It is a very unusual machine and have never seen another. I have also yet to find a picture or mention of one in any IH history book I've read. Does anyone out there know of these machines or of mentions? Anyone interested if I list it on an auction site? Value? Thanks. jd

/ McCormick Super W-4 Forklift #2  
Never seen one of those beast before,but Duane Helman has Internatioal 300 Utility tractor with a high -lift loader.
Maybe Duane could shed some light for you.
Rosewood Machine and Tool Company,Ohio
That the last known address I have.

Maybe try International Haverster Collectors.
Website. IHC CLUB@AOL.COM

There a magazine call Red Power on IHC,and they have alot of good advice from coast to coast.
Red Power
Box 277
Battle Creek,Iowa 51006-0277
Phone number at one time,712-365-4669

I hope this helps and good luck with your new investment.

Take care and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ McCormick Super W-4 Forklift #3  
Back in the early days of forklifts and loader backhoes most all were add ons like what you have. Harlo was another name and we still have one on a IH 340 that we use at one of our stores. There were also in the LB line Wagner and Pippen to get the list started. These units were normally shipped in crates to a ag dealer and installed at the dealership.

/ McCormick Super W-4 Forklift
Hi Art, just visited the tractorbynet site and saw your reply. I've bought some hard-to-get NOS parts from Steve via you fellows before. I don't believe this was entirely a dealer add-on. I am aware of Pippin and the others. I've seen 300's/340's/350's with forklifts, and they are not out-of-the-ordinary. What makes me think this greatly involved the IH factory and their engineering/R&D departments is that the IH gas tank is mounted vertical, has a specially-located filler hole, and the engine hood is specially made to wrap itself around the tank's unusual mounting style. It is an IH factory hood with the same body lines and style as all other IH factory hoods of the time, yet is shaped entirely different at the gas tank area. The steering gear is not like a normal w-4's, but yet has IH casting numbers. The seat and mount are also IH-made and reflect the pan-seat and suspension of the time, but yet are not of the standard production run. In short, IH obviously produced special sheetmetal and mechanical parts for this tractor, so that the forklift could then be attached. It seems that there should be some kind of mention of this in IH history. I have yet to find that mention, or how many of these exact units were sold or how many even exist. Thanks. jd