May be leaving Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter

/ May be leaving Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter #1  

Clayak

Tractor
Emax 22s
I hate doing it ... but I will probably be leaving my 2016 Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter. My wife want both autos in the garage. Last winter I left the Jeep outside and put the tractor inside.
I plan on attaching some oil pan heating pads (turning it on 4-5 hours before starting engine) and I'll warm up for 20-30 minutes before use. I'll put a long 2x4 the length of the tractor and covering with the same tarp I use during the summer. Used this method on the Jeep last winter. Lots of air circulation under the tarp so I'm not really worried about corrosion. I'll grease all the zerks this fall. I plan on putting a new battery in also.
1. Do I need a battery heating pad? Got one on the Generac in the back yard.
2. Should I use a full time battery charger?
3. Which oil pan heater pad is best?
4. Any other advice?
BTW ... I live in Alaska. Use the tractor to clear driveways probably twice a week.

Last edited:
   / May be leaving Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter #2  
I was about to say don't use the tarp because of varmints taking cover under the tarp and chewing your wires, then I read where you're in Alaska. So I don't anticipate you'd get a lot of small rodents in the dead of winter running around.

Do you have your tires filled? I'd make sure they can withstand the cold-soak below 0° without freezing.

/ May be leaving Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter #3  
An actual block heater is a lot better than a magnet pan heater if that’s an option. Battery tenders definitely help. I don’t have any experience with battery blankets but I imagine it would also help.

/ May be leaving Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter #4  
I'd say a battery tender is a must, a battery warmer isn't going to hurt and as 4570 said a block heater is a better option. Be sure to check your anti freeze is up to a 60% concentration that'll give you a 60 below protection, the usual 50% is only good for 34 below. A good anti-gel for the fuel is a must as is making sure you have it filled with winter graded fuel. Magnet heaters on your transmission and diff's won't hurt a thing neither as the only way they get warm is thru friction.

/ May be leaving Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter #5  
If tractor not park on tar or cement you might want to consider parking on planks.
I spray WD40 on wires to help rodents from chewing...not problems yet.

/ May be leaving Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter #6  
I hate doing it ... but I will probably be leaving my 2016 Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter. My wife want both autos in the garage. Last winter I left the Jeep outside and put the tractor inside.
I plan on attaching some oil pan heating pads (turning it on 4-5 hours before starting engine) and I'll warm up for 20-30 minutes before use. I'll put a long 2x4 the length of the tractor and covering with the same tarp I use during the summer. Used this method on the Jeep last winter. Lots of air circulation under the tarp so I'm not really worried about corrosion. I'll grease all the zerks this fall. I plan on putting a new battery in also.
1. Do I need a battery heating pad? Got one on the Generac in the back yard.
2. Should I use a full time battery charger?
3. Which oil pan heater pad is best?
4. Any other advice?
BTW ... I live in Alaska. Use the tractor to clear driveways probably twice a week.
We have a Mahindra 4540, we live in the foothills of the Adirondacks in NYS so we can get temps 20 or 30 below. We have a block heater and a battery maintainer that stays on it for the winter, so far with those two things on it , it starts fine even in the coldest temps.

The block heater will get plugged in an hour before I use it, usually that warms it up enough but if it's really cold, maybe two hours.

Our tractor was outside the first two winters but covered with a tarp, it's in a garage since 2018 which makes things nice since I use that to plow snow.

/ May be leaving Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter
Thanks for the confirmation of using a block heater and battery charger. Maybe going to use a battery warming pad also.

/ May be leaving Mahindra emax 22s outside this winter #8  
What you want to do to protect the tractor depends upon where you live in Alaska.

Ketchikan - lots of rain - very wet snows
Anchorage - probably max - 6" to 8" of snow - fairly dry
Fairbanks - snow depths vary but usually a foot to 18" of snow - cold, damn cold

I lived in Alaska for 22 years. A generalized location would help with recommendations.