max 26xl instrument panel - some lights work some don't

/ max 26xl instrument panel - some lights work some don't #1  

tmcj

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL
I've done a search here and haven't really found a similar problem. All of my headlights, tail lights, 4 ways, turn signals etc. work correctly. Everything on the tractor seems to operate correctly. The only issue is with some of the indicator lights on the instrument cluster. The headlights indicator, parking brake indicator, and PTO indicator lights do not work. I just noticed it today and I don't recall the last time I remember seeing them work, so it has been a while. I pulled the instrument panel loose and the bulbs for each are working OK when switched to another indicator. All of the fuses appear to be OK; I checked them all by pulling out and checking continuity. The 2 main inline 50 amp fuses along the battery and wiring harness are fine also. There does not appear to be any damaged wires or connectors that I can see. It seems odd that only 3 of the indicators don't work.

I installed LED work lights on the ROPS a few years ago and they are working fine and shouldn't have anything to do with the indicator lights anyway. The only other thing that I have done is bypass the seat safety switch because those wires kept getting pinched under the seat and shorting out the solenoid/ignition circuit.

Is this something that is going to have to be chased by an electrical guru with an entire machine schematic or am I missing something simple?

/ max 26xl instrument panel - some lights work some don't #2  
You will need to trace the wires going to the lamps and backtrack from there with a volt and ohm meter. The suspects would be a ground and the connections. I’m betting you will find the computer is sending the proper signal but either a plug has a bad connection or the portion of the panel isn’t grounded properly.
A book really won’t help- those MILs should come right off the computer. And even if they don’t you need to have the wires in your hands (to trace and diagnose) anyway.

/ max 26xl instrument panel - some lights work some don't #3  
tmcj, I have a 2016 MAX26xl and my PTO, headlight, and break dashboard indicator lights have never worked. I just assumed these lights were nonfunctional for this tractor model. Let us know what you find out.

/ max 26xl instrument panel - some lights work some don't
That's interesting to see another one with the same issue. I know all of mine worked when it was new and it is a 2016 also. There are several indicator windows on the panel that are non functionaI so I figured the same panel must be used for several models in which some apply and some don't. Obviously we don't need an indicator light to tell ya one of these things is on, but it just irritates me that it doesn't work like it should. I don't want there to be anything wrong with my tractor, even something minor like this, lol.

/ max 26xl instrument panel - some lights work some don't #5  
Yep. I have a 2019 26 Max XLT HST and only a few of my indicator lights seem to work.
The Temp and Oil Pressure Warning Lights are only to come ON when there is a problem, so hopefully they will never have to illuminate.
The HeadLights, E-Brake, and PTO lights do not illuminate. Never Have. When I finally realized this, I searched the forum and found this post.
I will contact my dealer service department and see if these are non-functional, or if there is a problem.
The fact that many Owners have this same issue is interesting. Seems like they should work.

I'm positive that mine worked at one time. These indicators are in place and should work. Visually they are just black circles on the dash until illuminated, but shine a light through them and you can clearly see the intended image as a notification light. I haven't chased it down yet but would still like to fix it sometime. It's not a critical thing, just annoying that it doesn't work as it should.

/ max 26xl instrument panel - some lights work some don't #7  
I have a brand new 1626 HST (Big Brother to the MAX), the only indicators I see coming on are:

High beam
Oil pressure
Glow plugs
Turn signals

No lights for brakes/PTO for me

/ max 26xl instrument panel - some lights work some don't #8  
I talked with the Service Tech (Mechanic) about the dash lights.
He said not all the indicator lights are wired in. Lots of complaints. Nothing they can do as it is factory wiring.
He was not specific.
Seems like they should all work. Mine never did.

I wonder if the service guy is talking about the indicator windows that have nothing behind them. I figured these depended upon what model it is or what options are with the tractor.

The ones I've had issues with are wired with bulbs in them. I can't imagine that they would run to nowhere. Besides, I still say that they worked when it was new. I have yet to really dig into the issue to track it down. Someday...