Max 26XL - flail mower vs rotary cutter

/ Max 26XL - flail mower vs rotary cutter #1  

tmcj

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL
I have spent countless hours reading and researching on this forum and all over the interwebs, and yes including the epic "Let's talk flail mowers" thread here. There is an endless amount of posts, videos and opinions on flail vs rotary but somehow I'm still on the fence with which to go with. Every time I think I have decided another little fun fact, experience, or opinion pops up that makes me question my decision. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Mahindra (Kodiak) 5' rotary, or Woodmaxx FM-62H flail. There is a substantial cost difference but I could swing either one. 90% of what I do is frequent maintenance, not trail blazing, but I don't want to be limited and not be able to make a trail if needed. This is my dilemma.....
1. US made vs Chinese is a factor, especially for parts availability, etc. Waiting months for the unit or parts is not appealing to say the least. I prefer Made in USA but will get the best tool for the job.
2. The flail may produce a nicer finish but it seems it would be at the cost of speed and time involved. Although it would be nice, I don't need a finished lawn appearance so rough cut is acceptable.
3. Flail seems better for maneuvering in the field and storage
4. Flail has the advantage for safer operation for noise levels and not tossing debris
5. Rotary seems to be more versatile and is more user friendly and forgiving in different environments where the flail seems to be a bit more specific depending on style of blades installed. May need to keep both y blades and hammers on hand and interchange as needed.
6. The ability to offset the flail for mowing along fencerows and tree lines would be great
7. Maintenance and repairs don't get any simpler than a rotary cutter vs more components to the flail

Either will do the job, but which will work best with my Max as far as longevity, efficiency, and performance? Anyone have a fair comparison for 5' rotary vs 5' flail with this or similar machine?

Last edited:
   / Max 26XL - flail mower vs rotary cutter #2  
I have a 5' rotary (Countyline from Tractor Supply) and a 68" flail (FMH EFGC175 from betstco.com). I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills, and very little of my property is flat or level. On my 5 acres grow several hundred oak trees in at least five varieties, and many, many partially buried rocks.
The rotary is faster, weighs less, requires less maintenance, needs less HP, and cost less. When mowing neglected areas, it's the better choice.
The flail grooms the hillsides much better, turns cuttings into mulch, contains the dust and debris better, and pleases SWMBO greatly. It gets the nod for all areas visible from the house.
Last year we added the Husqvarna riding mower. It's fast, easy, and climbs the hills like a mountain goat. It has a manually-controlled locking differential, will go places the tractor simply can't fit, and the wife can drive it. Beats the heck out of a string trimmer.
Different machines for different purposes. We have to be concerned with wildfires, and the flail does a terrific job of turning weeds into dust. I run it low, and it leaves nothing standing to burn. I bought the heavy-duty model, and it's gone two seasons on the original blades and belts. All I've done is lube it and replace one shear bolt. The rotary doesn't cut as cleanly, especially in tall, green weeds - which the flail often kills off for the season. The rotary will sling debris quite a distance at high velocity.
My budget dictated the origin of the flail. Betstco.com was a pleasure to work with, and they claim to stock parts. I haven't needed any, so far.

Last edited:
   / Max 26XL - flail mower vs rotary cutter
Thanks Teachu2. Every bit of perspective helps. I think for now I'm gonna go for the rotary cutter. I did some traveling today to some local dealers to check out some rotary cutters and search for any more info on flails. Practically nobody around here deals with flail mowers, so it would come down to getting something shipped in. Nobody seems to have Kodiak brand stuff either, just Mahindra badged cutters that are $500 more just for having a Mahindra sticker on them. I found out that a local place no longer deals with Mahindra but has switched to Titan, out of Tennessee. They are built very similar to the Kodiak and pretty much the same price, so that may well be the answer. Gonna investigate further tomorrow.

/ Max 26XL - flail mower vs rotary cutter #4  
If you have to cut heavy growth (especially in steep terrain), a 5' rotary may be a bit big for the 26. My 21hp Mitsubishi ran a 4' great, the 5' would overheat it pretty quickly. Rather than sell the 5' and buy a new 4', I bought a new tractor....

Many on here recommend 5 PTO hp/foot of rotary cutter, and you are at 20-21.5 PTO hp depending on shuttle or hydro transmission. The flail needs MORE, so I think a 48" flail would be the maximum. I have 27.6 PTO on my current tractor. I would think someone here who owns a Max26 would weigh in with some real-world experience.

You might also consider a 5' finish mower. My neighbor uses one behind his BX and loves it. Check out http://www.value-leader.com/mower/ for the power recommendations. That's the equipment sold by betstco.com, but I doubt others are substantially more or less effecient.

/ Max 26XL - flail mower vs rotary cutter
I picked up the 5' Titan this morning at what I thought was a pretty good deal. Everyone I talked to at various Mahindra dealerships, and the farm equipment place I got it from that used to be a Mahindra dealer, and other reviews online said the Max 26 will do just fine with the 5'. They all said that is what is typically sold with the tractor or as an add on later. Of course you have to use some common sense and not abuse it, listen to your engine, watch temp gauge etc. Just be smart about it and it should be fine. Anything I'll be in to the Swisher mower handled before so I'm guessing the combo I have now will be just fine.

/ Max 26XL - flail mower vs rotary cutter #7  
Enjoy!