Massey Ferguson 461 and sticking diff lock

/ Massey Ferguson 461 and sticking diff lock #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Anyone know how to fix this? I found two problems on my tractor. One is the differential lock / foot pedal is stuck and will not depress down. The other is the 4x4 light does not work but the tractor does go in and out of 4x4 easily. Could it be just a bad bulb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Massey Ferguson 461 and sticking diff lock #2  
Sounds like its just froze up for lack of use. Try spraying penetrating oil on it and just start working it up and down. mY take awhile. If this doesnt work you will have to go into the housing. As far as your light goes it sounds like a bulb. Just remember when you get it freed
up use it ever so often to keep it free moving.

/ Massey Ferguson 461 and sticking diff lock
Sounds like its just froze up for lack of use. Try spraying penetrating oil on it and just start working it up and down. mY take awhile. If this doesnt work you will have to go into the housing. As far as your light goes it sounds like a bulb. Just remember when you get it freed

ok i sprayed penetrating oil all around it. I'll work with it a day or so to see how it goes. If i ever get it loose i'll make sure to use it some in the future. Apparently the previous owner never engaged it.

ok i sprayed penetrating oil all around it. I'll work with it a day or so to see how it goes. If i ever get it loose i'll make sure to use it some in the future. Apparently the previous owner never engaged it.

Well finally tried it again after spraying it down. I had to push hard but it finally went down and locked. HOWEVER, now it will not come up. I have tried going forwards and backwards and while turning the wheel but no luck. Anyone know how to get it out now? i've also pulled up on the lever as hard as i can but still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Massey Ferguson 461 and sticking diff lock #5  
My MF 275 had a 'frozen' Diff lock when I bought it a few months ago. I just kept spraying, pounding and prying until it eventually freed up. On mine, not only was the pedal pivot rusted up, but the rod that the pedal actuates was also frozen. I lifted up on pedal, then pried the large flange on that rod outward. Once up, I pushed the pedal down and tapped the rod in as far as it would go. I did this a few dozen times, spraying copious amounts of penetrating oil on the pedal pivot and the actuating rod. Eventually it got free enough to (almost) work correctly; after using it, I still reach down to pull the pedal up the last little ways just to make sure that it's fully disengaged. I've been lucky enough to not have to use the lock much, but I guess I should take jlsmith's advice and use it even if it's not needed! I don't know the diff lock configuration on your 461, but enough working and spraying may just fix it up.

jlsmith said:

Well thanks for the info. Its been around a year or so but Finally it let loose. Just kept oiling it and driving it. Finally pulled up on it by hand and now its unlocked. Basically only drove it a few times but oiled it every few weeks. Didn't need tractor much so wasn't a big deal.

/ Massey Ferguson 461 and sticking diff lock #7  
Great, glad it freed up for you. Keep it oiled and keep using it every so often and it should be fine.