Buying Advice Massey Ferguson 1540 purchase

/ Massey Ferguson 1540 purchase #1  

Tomcat7078

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1540
Just bought this MF1540 for my husband (Christmas surprise). Been saving for years, his 1st tractor. 登录或注册即可查看
Have $8000 worth of attachments, which we picked up for $2000 with the purchase of the land and they all fit. Its a 2007. Please be honest, did I do okay? He has 100 hours to return it, not auction, recently serviced (new hydraulichoses, greased...), bent grill and step. Is there anything I should ask for before delivery (12/24/21)? Please help, last tractor I bought was in my 20s, an old 1950+ Ford and a lot has changed. Did I do okay?

/ Massey Ferguson 1540 purchase #2  
Hard to tell with just the exterior pics. Did you inspect the engine snd all components closely? Looks like a lot of wear on some of the body parts and rams, yet the wheel rims are nice snd shiny (just painted?)

I have a 2006 MF1540 tractor and 1525 loader; mine is HST. Probably about 500 hours. Don't have a grapple or rear remotes on mine. Never had any issues other than hose replacements in the loader

That being said, doesn't seem like a bad price based on the limited data provided. Could always sell it if you don't like it.

why is your link in Chinese?

/ Massey Ferguson 1540 purchase
Thanks for your input. I did inspect everything to the best of my abilities. Those rims caught my eye too, so I checked the insides and ran a nail file over them and didn't find them painted. One rear tire appears older than the other and they have water in them. Can't explain why the link shows up in Chinese (probably a Facebook issue). We're in Florida and just bought 5 more acres to tame for horses. With so many people moving down, used tractors are way too expensive. I managed to talk the price down to $17,500 (delivered with a giant red bow 🤣). If my husband isn't happy, we have the option of selling it back to them, a nice family business. They are close and will pick up and deliver at a small fee for servicing. It's not pretty, but hopefully it will serve Tom's needs. Watching him get physically worn down sinking 8" fence posts by hand prompted the purchase. Praying it was a good decision. Thank you kindly for your input! (When I showed up unexpectedly, the exhaust was cold, tractor inside the shop, fresh grease and no oil on the ground 🤞)

/ Massey Ferguson 1540 purchase
Hard to tell with just the exterior pics. Did you inspect the engine snd all components closely? Looks like a lot of wear on some of the body parts and rams, yet the wheel rims are nice snd shiny (just painted?)

I have a 2006 MF1540 tractor and 1525 loader; mine is HST. Probably about 500 hours. Don't have a grapple or rear remotes on mine. Never had any issues other than hose replacements in the loader

That being said, doesn't seem like a bad price based on the limited data provided. Could always sell it if you don't like it.

why is your link in Chinese?
Would you happen to know where I can get an operators manual for this tractor? Searched online to no avail. Thanks.

/ Massey Ferguson 1540 purchase #5  
We have a MF1533 which has the same operator's manual. The printed copy stays with the machine. I have an online copy that I believe I purchased access through AGCO. There is an app you have to download on your computer and then you can view the manual. I do not believe you can buy printed copies any longer. If you have a need for certain information, I could make pdf pages and email them. Let me know. I won't do the whole manual.

Our machine is in SW Virginia while I live in the Philadelphia area. From time to time I need information about the machine so having the online manual is good for our need.

Just wanted to say that as the operator of our machine, I really like it. We have about 450 hours on it... use it for mowing, trail building, moving stuff, grading the driveway up the mountain, are considering small ground engagement to plant a garden or food plots. If the previous owners cared for your machine, I expect it is a solid machine.

We added LED work lights to the ROPS so we can see to get around late in the day. We have them set up both forward facing and read facing. We added a FEL as the machine did not have one. We would like to add some remotes but we are still debating that. Could really use a grapple.

I wish you the best with your new tractor.

/ Massey Ferguson 1540 purchase #6  
Seems like it’s probably a pretty decent deal but when buying used equipment it’s pretty common to get surprised by issues you were not aware of when buying, hopefully you will have lots of good luck with it.
Seems to have lots of nice and useable extra features. Nice looking tires and sounds like a decent dealer so I suspect you did pretty well and your husband will love it ! The bent step looks like it would be pretty easy to repair or replace. Congratulations !

/ Massey Ferguson 1540 purchase #7  
Sounds like you did a pretty thorough check. I would run it for 50 hours and see how things go. As you say you can always sell it back if needed.