Massey 2660HD rear brake issue

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I bought this tractor last year and discovered it has a brake issue. So it’s a 4x4 with cab and front loader. The issue is the right brake seems to grab a bit (not always) and the pedal is hard with very little movement. I can tell when this happens as the brake is engaged some holding back the tractor a bit. Then there are times the pedal feels normal and right brake works fine. Anyone have thoughts as to what could be causing the issue? Rear hydraulic fluid is at normal level as well. I did notice some oil residue though around the right hub. May have a small leak but not sure if that would cause this issue.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #2  
I bought this tractor last year and discovered it has a brake issue. So it’s a 4x4 with cab and front loader. The issue is the right brake seems to grab a bit (not always) and the pedal is hard with very little movement. I can tell when this happens as the brake is engaged some holding back the tractor a bit. Then there are times the pedal feels normal and right brake works fine. Anyone have thoughts as to what could be causing the issue? Rear hydraulic fluid is at normal level as well. I did notice some oil residue though around the right hub. May have a small leak but not sure if that would cause this issue.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Adjust out on the brake rod going into the rear axle. Does it return to normal when you put in reverse and go forward again?

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue
I think the adjustment is fine as normally when the brake feel is good so is travel. However when it sticks it’s a hard pedal with very little movement. Also to you point, one time I went into reverse it fixed itself. May have to try that again. Good point.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #4  
I think the adjustment is fine as normally when the brake feel is good so is travel. However when it sticks it’s a hard pedal with very little movement. Also to you point, one time I went into reverse it fixed itself. May have to try that again. Good point.
Maybe back off 1 full turn. The brake expander should slide back into place.

Maybe back off 1 full turn. The brake expander should slide back into place.

Ok I check it out this weekend. Maybe that will help. Thanks.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #6  
The clue about a trace of oil could point to the problem. When brake linings get a little oil or brake fluid on them, they can get real grabby. They can self-energize. If they are coated with a lot, they are less than normally effective, but not grabby.
You could try going along in a gear one slower that road gear and ride the brake. That will creat heat and burn the oil off.
Not really the way to fix this. The correct way is disassemble the brakes, and wash everything up with solvent. Then look closely at the oil seal and/or slave cylinder, if hydraulic brakes. Something is allowing oil in there, and that isn't right.

But they are wet brakes? So they are always immersed in hydraulic fluid correct?

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #8  
The clue about a trace of oil could point to the problem. When brake linings get a little oil or brake fluid on them, they can get real grabby. They can self-energize. If they are coated with a lot, they are less than normally effective, but not grabby.
You could try going along in a gear one slower that road gear and ride the brake. That will creat heat and burn the oil off.
Not really the way to fix this. The correct way is disassemble the brakes, and wash everything up with solvent. Then look closely at the oil seal and/or slave cylinder, if hydraulic brakes. Something is allowing oil in there, and that isn't right.
It uses an eccentric expanding plate. They're immersed in oil, but not hydraulic.
View attachment 638967View attachment 638968

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #9  
Jimmyhauser,
If indeed these are wet brakes, my diagnosis is not pertinent.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #10  
Ok I check it out this weekend. Maybe that will help. Thanks.
Maybe check if the spring is still in place too. Number 50 on the diagram. Screenshot_20200127-215721.jpgScreenshot_20200127-215737.jpg