Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota

/ Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota #1  

JME81

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota LX2610HSDC
Hi,

I've been looking for some time now at tractors. Currently, we own 2 acres of land. We want to move to a location with more land, 8-10. Not all of it would be mowed for lawn. Some would be a field (maybe leased out or just let it grow). The acreage is undecided at this point as it depends on many factors.

What I would want to do is the following:
  • Snow blow a long drive way with front mount
  • Move soil/compost around
  • Move chicken manure around (not hundreds of pounds)
  • Move small rocks, etc around
  • Drag a tree or two
  • Possibly till large garden bed
  • Mow the lawn (not sure how many acres, maybe 4?)

I've looked at many models and brands. I've decided against JD. All dealers are basically on the same road, about 45 minutes away. I really like the Kubota B2601 as I've watched many videos by GP Outdoors and it does what I could see myself doing. I went to Massey and the 1724e looks like a nice tractor, nice price, etc however they pushed the 1734e stating that it was only $2100~ more and you get the jump in the PTO HP which is true. It's a heavy tractor, about 2700lbs. With R4's would I tear up the lawn?

Advise appreciated! I would buying the bucket and snow blower together, anything else would be down the road.

/ Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota #2  
I am a fairly recent tractor and acreage owner, so others may have better advice for you, but what I have learned in the past two years is that there are tractors, and there are lawn mowers, and the more you try to get one machine to do both jobs, the more you wind up compromising both machines. I have a 40-horse tractor that is excellent for brush-hogging, but if I try to use it as a finish mower, it tears up the grass. To get a tractor small enough to be a good mower would mean that the loader capacity, weight (for blade work, etc.), and PTO power drop to the point that I cannot do what I need the way I prefer. My solution was to buy a used riding mower for the lawn around the house and to use the tractor for everything else.

/ Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota #3  
What I would want to do is the following:
  • Snow blow a long drive way with front mount
  • Move soil/compost around
  • Move chicken manure around (not hundreds of pounds)
  • Move small rocks, etc around
  • Drag a tree or two
  • Possibly till large garden bed
  • Mow the lawn (not sure how many acres, maybe 4?)

I really like the Kubota B2601 as I've watched many videos by GP Outdoors and it does what I could see myself doing.

I went to Massey and the 1724e looks like a nice tractor, nice price, etc however they pushed the 1734e stating that it was only $2100~ more and you get the jump in the PTO HP which is true. It's a heavy tractor, about 2700lbs. With R4's would I tear up the lawn?

As your plans for property expansion are undecided, the B2601 should serve you fine through five acres, maybe ten acres depending on what portion of future land you decide to actually work. Nothing you have listed calls for the higher FEL lift capacity of the B2650.

VIDEO: Comparing Kubota's 26hp Compact Tractors - YouTube

MF 1734e is a more capable tractor, no doubt. A direct competitor to Kubota L3901. MF may not have a front PTO shaft for a front mount snowblower. L3901 does not have front PTO shaft.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is worse than depreciation on a tractor. Try to buy enough tractor the first time. I did not.

I operate my 3,700 pound Kubota with R4/industrial tires and an implement over Florida sandy-loam almost daily without damage. 2-WD drive over lawn. 4-WD does have a proclivity to mark turf. Operating over clay might be less forgiving.

I recommend a zero turn mower for lawn mowing.

What learned in the past two years is that there are tractors, and there are lawn mowers, and the more you try to get one machine to do both jobs, the more you wind up compromising both machines. My solution was to buy a used riding mower for the lawn around the house and to use the tractor for everything else.

NOTE: Many who move snow with a tractor feel tractor left/right brake steering is important.

T-B-N ARCHIVE: tractor steering brakes snow site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

Massey Ferguson 1734E

2013 - 1700 Series
Compact Utility tractor
Previous model: Massey Ferguson 1533
Series next: Massey Ferguson 1739E
Series back: Massey Ferguson 1726E

Manufacturer: Massey Ferguson (a part of AGCO)

Massey Ferguson 1734E Engine:
Shibaura 1.5L 3-cyl diesel
Massey Ferguson 1734E Power:
Engine: 34 hp [25.4 kW]
PTO (claimed): 29 hp [21.6 kW] (gear)
27.2 hp [20.3 kW] (hydro)

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I
Rear lift (at ends): 2205 lbs [1000 kg]
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 1598 lbs [724 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: live
Clutch: over-running
Rear RPM: 540 (1.375)
Engine RPM: 540@2455

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 65.9 inches [167 cm]
Weight: 2734 to 2745 pounds

Massey Ferguson 1734E attachments:
Loader type: Massey Ferguson L100
Height (to pin): 98.6 inches [250 cm]
Clearance, dumped bucket: 81.1 inches [205 cm]
Dump reach: 13.7 inches [34 cm]
Dump angle: 32.5
Clearance, level bucket: 91.8 inches [233 cm]
Reach at ground: 56.9 inches [144 cm]
Rollback angle: 14.5
Breakout force (at pin): 1968 lbs [892 kg]
Breakout force (at 500mm): 1401 lbs [635 kg]
Lift to full height (at pin): 1282 lbs [581 kg]
Lift to full height (at 500mm): 876 lbs [397 kg]
Lift to 1.5m (at pin): 1448 lbs [656 kg]
Bucket width: 60 inches [152 cm]
Attachment style: pin-on
skid-steer*

Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x2 2WD
4x4 MFWD 4WD
Final drives: bull gear
Differential lock: rear standard
Steering: hydrostatic power
Brakes: wet disc
Two-post folding ROPS.

Hydraulics:
Type: open center gear pump
SCV flow: 6.7 gpm [25.4 lpm]
Total flow: 10.5 gpm [39.7 lpm]
Steering flow: 3.8 gpm [14.4 lpm]

Battery:
Number: 1
Volts: 12

Page information:
Last update: November 7, 2019
Copyright: Copyright 2019 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota
Zero turn could be an option but is not preferred- Trying to reduce payments, not increase. :)

/ Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota #5  
Before i bought my zt i mowed my 5 acre yard with a 4000 lb tractorwith r4s . not a problem except in early spring when we are getting lots of rain. my house is in a large creek bottom and i get all the runoff from surrounding land. biggest problem is not being able to manuever around things very easily. I think a 25 to 30 hp tractor would suffice.

/ Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota #6  
As stated by other posts, trying to make a tractor do double duty as a lawn mower and a compact utility tractor is a bit problematic. Unless your lawn is huge with very few obstacles then a CUT will not work very well (it may eliminate some of the obstacles whether or not you intended to).
If my lawn is somewhat wet then the 1734e does mark it up some. For its size it is pretty maneuverable, power steering and hydrostatic transmission aid in this. If you ate intending to use it to mow then the loader will be in the way, it is supposed to be easy to remove and mount, I can't say, I have never taken mine off.
The 1734e does not have a mid PTO, so mowers and snow blowers need to run off of the rear. To my knowledge the 1734e does not come in a cab model, gets cold in the snow.
My neighbor has a Kubota B2650, it is about a third smaller than the 1734e, does have a mid PTO. Doesn't have near as much weight and lift capacity as the 1734e, but still a capable tractor. It is a small CUT and built like one, `not like the BX or GC subcompact tractors.

/ Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota #7  
I'd wait until you buy the property to buy the tractor. You may end up with a different size property or a different mix of lawn/rough mow area/unmowable area than you're expecting now.

/ Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota
The dealer mentioned no Mid-PTO; the B2601 has it however Massey does not. He said that they sell a rear-PTO, front mount snow-blower. I'm trying to get an exact cost on it.

/ Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota #9  
i have an ancient simplicity 14HP to do my lawn. until you know what you want to do , buying a used mower might be a good start. My land is 75% forest and 25% lawns with slopes between them. 6+ acres and I can do all I want with the MF SCUT and the Simplicty lawn tractor. Without knowing your property, buying a tractor 'too big/small can be a problem, though as others have stated, tractor resale values are pretty good, you would take a big hit on the implements.

/ Massey 1726/34e vs Kioti vs Kubota #10  
Hello....Did you look at the MF1526...it has the mid pto. I have the MF1526, looked at the B2601 and even with the MF dealer being a 3 hr drive compared to the Kubota dealer being 20 min drive,,,the MF was a better fit for me. I have turf tires (rear filled), cut lawns residential (60" mmm), have a small wood lot at the cabin...and remove snow for neighbours in the winter..I purchased the 1526 in May of 2019 new, and now have over 300 hrs on same....excellent machine...the only problem I have with it is the design of the ROPS, very tall and leans forward too much, especially when in the woods, it pushes the branches down on top (towards) of the driver while going forward...my dislike... Take care

Last edited: