Massey 135 is my Valentine

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine
In the UK all the 135's I have ever seen have the manifold type heater. Similar (identical?) to the heater on a 4 cylinder MF 35.
While I will check that it is operating properly, at our mild temperatures shouldn't really need it though.

Perhaps I'll have to do the rings.

I am amazed that you have never done or checked Valve adjustments FWJ even after such humble hours!;) It is the sort of thing I always do on a new acquisition sometimes to remarkable effect. How do you know the valves aren't tight and leaking/burning - gut instinct I guess.
Perhaps I'm just a fusser.

I will re-post again after I have given her a good run with fresh fuel and oil. Checked the clearances etc to let you all know my experience.
Many many thanks for all your encouragement and prompt replies.
Great to know you all.

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #12  
In the UK all the 135's I have ever seen have the manifold type heater. Similar (identical?) to the heater on a 4 cylinder MF 35.
While I will check that it is operating properly, at our mild temperatures shouldn't really need it though.

Perhaps I'll have to do the rings.

I am amazed that you have never done or checked Valve adjustments FWJ even after such humble hours!;) It is the sort of thing I always do on a new acquisition sometimes to remarkable effect. How do you know the valves aren't tight and leaking/burning - gut instinct I guess.
Perhaps I'm just a fusser.

I will re-post again after I have given her a good run with fresh fuel and oil. Checked the clearances etc to let you all know my experience.
Many many thanks for all your encouragement and prompt replies.
Great to know you all.

Congrats on your new 135. I have a 1964 MF-135 diesel (the 2512th one manufactured).

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #13  
No thermo start on Perkins AD3-152.

Those are normally one of the easiest cold starters of any diesel you'll find. Check condition of air filter and fuel filters, as well as making certain you have clean, uncontaminated, fresh fuel. Also, with that many hours, check injectors. A compression test may be in order. Diesels down on compression are notoriously hard to start.

I with Farmwithjunk on this one. I owned a 1964 MF135 diesel for 25 years. It sat outside in the weather 24/7 for 25 years. No block heater and no glow plugs. As long as I kept the battery charged it would start in less a half turn of the motor in below zero weather. Every gosh darn time. I have never had a diesel since this MF135 that has started so easily in cold weather. My new Kubota won't start with out glow plugs. Even in summer. I think some cold starting technology was lost when the MF135's went away. The MF135 is an awesome mowing tractor. It sticks like glue on a hill and is a true blue workhorse. I should have kept mine.

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #14  
I with Farmwithjunk on this one. I owned a 1964 MF135 diesel for 25 years. It sat outside in the weather 24/7 for 25 years. No block heater and no glow plugs. As long as I kept the battery charged it would start in less a half turn of the motor in below zero weather. Every gosh darn time. I have never had a diesel since this MF135 that has started so easily in cold weather. My new Kubota won't start with out glow plugs. Even in summer. I think some cold starting technology was lost when the MF135's went away. The MF135 is an awesome mowing tractor. It sticks like glue on a hill and is a true blue workhorse. I should have kept mine.

Well,you could always buy another one. :)

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine
Hi to you all. After all your kind replies I thought I would give an update.
Been fettling with "Valentina" most evenings and the result is much improved (cold)starting and running. We have had a few ups and downs:mad: Taken the cab off - it needs serious work and was in the way.
I have changed all the fluids (tranny oil was like cream) and filters. Fuel tank was filthy.
One of the injectors was leaking compression (I could hear it!) and this obviously wasn't helping the cold starting. Cleaned them all and reset them on new copper washers.
I did check the valve clearances but they were all either OK or too big.(you were right FWJ) Re-doing them has improved the smoothness of her running though - especially at lower rpms. Compression, as far as I can tell by hand, is good - Number 1 cylinder maybe a bit down but hey after 8000 hours.
There was no thermostat in the head, I had suspected as much as I could see the temp gauge start to move but not much. Probably been running cold for years!! Nice hot clean quaility oil all round now will help free any sticky rings etc I hope.(Eternal optimist)
Had a pleasant surprise when I took the rear brake drums off, I had expected it to be a disaster area inside because of the sea water but no all looking really well except for a broken lining on one shoe - now replaced -brakes much better.
Got all the lights working again- very time consuming.
Got the spool vave working again - it was solid.
Worst job of all is the blooming fuel tank, though having trapped my fingers, painfully, twice, trying to get the front spring loaded studs to locate I have come up with a trick - 2 pieces of wood jammed in to hold the heads up while the tank is slid forward onto them makes doing it alone in dim light a lot easier!! A better fixing here would have been a good idea IMHO.
I am now pretty delighted with the new machine and next week we're off to do some PULLING. Cosmetics must wait!
Many thanks again.