Massey 135 is my Valentine

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #1  

Fergie Bach

Hi Folks,
I am a newbie.
Just acquired the above tractor(1969). Somebody else loved it once but then some idiot used it for pulling boats out of the sea. A heresy! Still it could be in worse condition and I have a mind to make it nice as a partner for my 1953 TE20. Advice appreiated, perhaps from someone as knowledgeable as "farming with junk" on these matters. A man after my own heart!!
Tractor has 8000 hours but runs well with good oil pressure. Transmission is excellent and the old girl has seen a greasing or 2 in her time.In fact I'm delighted except that I know that this Perkins engine should fire up cold pretty much on the button and it doesn't- Needs heat and a few turns.Battery is good.
Once away all well. Runs without excessive smoke,Breathes a little but I've seen worse. Steady and even through the range. Sounds well. Tips for improving her cold starting is what I need.
I will never use ether!
Valve clearances are on the immeadiate agenda.
A good run with automotive diesel perhaps. Other suggestions gratefully accepted.

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #2  
Hi Folks,
I am a newbie.
Just acquired the above tractor(1969). Somebody else loved it once but then some idiot used it for pulling boats out of the sea. A heresy! Still it could be in worse condition and I have a mind to make it nice as a partner for my 1953 TE20. Advice appreiated, perhaps from someone as knowledgeable as "farming with junk" on these matters. A man after my own heart!!
Tractor has 8000 hours but runs well with good oil pressure. Transmission is excellent and the old girl has seen a greasing or 2 in her time.In fact I'm delighted except that I know that this Perkins engine should fire up cold pretty much on the button and it doesn't- Needs heat and a few turns.Battery is good.
Once away all well. Runs without excessive smoke,Breathes a little but I've seen worse. Steady and even through the range. Sounds well. Tips for improving her cold starting is what I need.
I will never use ether!
Valve clearances are on the immeadiate agenda.
A good run with automotive diesel perhaps. Other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Congrats!! Pics please. :) Glad to hear you will not use either. According to MF Guru Big Dean Austin, if you use either, you will eventually break the ring lands on the pistons. Make sure the thermo-start is woking, and you are good to go. And a block heater is its best friend.

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #3  
Congrats!! Pics please. :) Glad to hear you will not use either. According to MF Guru Big Dean Austin, if you use either, you will eventually break the ring lands on the pistons. Make sure the thermo-start is woking, and you are good to go. And a block heater is its best friend.

No thermo start on Perkins AD3-152.

Those are normally one of the easiest cold starters of any diesel you'll find. Check condition of air filter and fuel filters, as well as making certain you have clean, uncontaminated, fresh fuel. Also, with that many hours, check injectors. A compression test may be in order. Diesels down on compression are notoriously hard to start.

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #4  
No thermo start on Perkins AD3-152.

Those are normally one of the easiest cold starters of any diesel you'll find. Check condition of air filter and fuel filters, as well as making certain you have clean, uncontaminated, fresh fuel. Also, with that many hours, check injectors. A compression test may be in order. Diesels down on compression are notoriously hard to start.

Oh ok. So just the A.3152 had a thermostart??

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #5  
My 98' MF 231 has the thermostart system. The decal says so on the instrument panel. I know where the part is on the engine, but don't know how to use it or what i am supposed to do with it. Anyway, what engine is in my tractor? I know its a Perkins 3 cylinder diesel.

Thanks,
Travis R

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #6  
Oh ok. So just the A.3152 had a thermostart??

Let me re-phrase that.... The AD3-152 as it was originally equipped on the 135/150 did not have thermo-start. Later varients on tractors such as the 231/231S ect, had them. The OP's 135 WON'T have one unless it's an add on. I've never had the need for one on the AD3-152 on my 150. It starts just fine in sub-zero weather.

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #7  
Let me re-phrase that.... The AD3-152 as it was originally equipped on the 135/150 did not have thermo-start. Later varients on tractors such as the 231/231S ect, had them. The OP's 135 WON'T have one unless it's an add on. I've never had the need for one on the AD3-152 on my 150. It starts just fine in sub-zero weather.

Oh I second that in a second. Would I be overstating it a Legendary for it's cold starting abilities?? Because they are.

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine
Many many thanks all for your replies.
As I am in the UK our times are out of sinc hence delay in posting thanks.
I will try fresh fuel as "farming with junk" suggests.
That was where I was coming from with the automotive diesel suggestion as here we have a basic but cheaper non-highway diesel for agricultural use. The tank is half filled with this and it may be many months or years old.
Automotive diesel has more detergent additives and anti waxing properties. It's not cold here at the moment however - 3or 4 degrees celsius.

If the tractor has been standing for some time could this concievably have stuck the rings a little and a little use with clean oil will ease them off.

No one has mentioned valve cleances.
Does this motor need regular adjustment of the clearances? Do they tend to tighten up?

I don't wish to remove the head if any or all of the above may improve the cold starting over time?

PS What do you all call thermo start, A glow plug in the cylinder or some kind of heater in the inlet manifold?
Have the second but not the first.
This is what I am referring to when I say "needs heat" above.

Last edited:
   / Massey 135 is my Valentine #9  

PS What do you all call thermo start, some kind of heater in the inlet manifold?
Have the second but not the first.
This is what I am referring to when I say "needs heat" above.

A heater in the intake is a thermostart. There should be a fuel line running to it, when you cycle the key to heat, it heats a shot of diesel which helps with starting.

/ Massey 135 is my Valentine #10  
As for valve adjustments.....I've owned my MF150 w/Perkins AD3-152 diesel for ALMOST 38 years now. Valve cover has never been off yet. However, I'm only @ 3355 hours on the clock.