Marking property lines

/ Marking property lines #21  
I bought an 8 acre piece of wooded property a few years ago. It's a mile long and 72' wide. The survey cost me $10,000.00 and all they did was put pins in the 4 corners.

Now I want to build a fence on part of it but it is impossible to tell where the property line is since the pins are a mile apart in the woods.

I called the surveyor back and he wants $2000.00 more to come set pins every 500' on the property line. :mad:

I have no choice so I am going to go pay him today to set the pins.

Will he do just one side for half the price? Then measure 72' on your own. ;-)

/ Marking property lines #22  
What kind of neighbor would pull your surveyed pin ???

Just because they live next you doesn't make them neighbors.

We have a real estate agent that lives next to us that has both pulled a pin and 100' markers.

Fortunately the semi-retired surveyor who orginally split up the lot's is reasonable for putting markers back.

/ Marking property lines
My boundries are all woods. I cut pieces of aluminum flashing into 3 inch squares and simply nailed them to trees using aluminum roofing nails. Every couple of years I check them and if a tree fell over or whatever I just put up another. Real easy to see the lines.

I like the aluminum flashing idea for the property lines!
I also like the PVC idea for the 8 or so metal pin corner markers!
It is a lot easier doing this in the fall when all the foilage is gone.
sherpa

/ Marking property lines #24  
I bought an 8 acre piece of wooded property a few years ago. It's a mile long and 72' wide. The survey cost me $10,000.00 and all they did was put pins in the 4 corners.

Now I want to build a fence on part of it but it is impossible to tell where the property line is since the pins are a mile apart in the woods.

I called the surveyor back and he wants $2000.00 more to come set pins every 500' on the property line. :mad:

I got into this problem too and is the reason now I pay a little more to get stakes close enough to see from one to another to drive T posts on the initial survey.

/ Marking property lines #25  
I use treated post's when marking corners

/ Marking property lines #26  
The initial survey sounds a little high to me. But I have no idea what the going rate is in your area, Or do i estimate jobs. From experience here the going rate here is 700ish up to 5 acres then 50 bucks an acre over that. That is for an average shape lot. But with your lot being so long(mile) there is a lot more field work needed to get back to the corners. Plus along that mile there could be a lot of adjoining properties that would need to be researched out in order to give an accurate estimation of the line. Any job like that where i live would be done in the winter with no leaf coverage. that knocks a job down in half the time or more. 500' in the woods is a long way. that's pretty much impossible to see between. Fence installers want much closer points than that depending on how thick the woods are. Not sure if you called around to get prices but at this point your current surveyor is probably your best choice. Anyone else will have to charge more for establishing control through the woods. Atleast your current guy has already been paid for most of the calcs and field work.

/ Marking property lines #27  

I had 30 acres surveyed for $500 and they put markers every 200 - 300 feet.

/ Marking property lines #28  
if the lines are stright get a gps and mark the two points.start at one an go to the other marking along the way. if it's wavy things are harder

/ Marking property lines #29  
Surveyors are way more expensive in our area than anywhere else since Katrina. They still have tons of work to do surveying homes being rebuilt and homes raised. I wish I had learned surveying when I was younger because it is a very well paying job here at this time.

Even though I have straight lines and my surveyor uses a gps, he has a very expensive gps and I have been told that a consumer grade gps is not accurate enough for a fence line, especially one on a lot only 72' wide.