Maneuverability of B-series tractors?

/ Maneuverability of B-series tractors? #1  

jrv

I have a 320-acre property in central Texas that is maintained under wildlife. There are perhaps 5 miles of interior paths I want to keep mowed to a 10' width. There is also a somewhat wooded yard of about 2 acres around the house that needs mowing. I'm willing to spend a little more money so I can spend a little less time on the tractor to get the paths but don't want to spend forever in the yard trying to get around trees.

So the two competing issues are (1) not to get a machine too heavy or unmaneuverable to use in the yard and (2) not to get a garden tractor too small to handle the interior paths in a reasonable amount of time. I will add a front-end loader at some point (perhaps at the initial purchase) and perhaps implements to smooth the field paths.

Currently my preference is the B2910, B2410 and B7500, in that order: pick the first one that can be used in my yard. Any larger Kubota or comparable Deere would be just too heavy for use in the yard. The BX2200 might be OK for mowing but seems unlikely to ever be useful for other tasks in the fields.

Currently some tree limbs are too low for the B2910 to pass under, even with a folding ROPS. I don't know if a B2410 will fit. I am pleading my case that the trees need trimming but the answer is NO so far.

/ Maneuverability of B-series tractors? #2  
jrv, I'd say go with the bigger tractor. I have a B2710, same chassis as the B2910, and yes, it's a little slow maneuvering around the trees in the yard, but I did do a lot of pruning (don't have a fold down ROPS, instead have a canopy on the ROPS), and I use a rear discharge 3-point finish mower that I can back under a few low limbs. But for the rest of your property, I think the bigger the better.

Bird

/ Maneuverability of B-series tractors? #3  
Except for the lack of position control on the 3pt, which I'm gradually learning to deal with, the BX may do what you want. Doesn't get any more manuerverable than that with 4WD! (Except a BX2200 with a GST and turning brakes...heh heh /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

The loader is actually useable. I had serious doubts and didn't even count on it as part of my purchase. I find myself doing a lot of small fix up jobs with the BX rather than getting the lumbering beast out (L35). Of course the loader on a 2000lb total weight tractor is not quite the same as the loader results on a 6300?lb one! The turf and ag tires switch quickly and you can carry around the rears in your arms! Actually I've heard that the ags (well the almost-ags) aren't too hard on the grass if the ground is solid. As far as pulling a rear scraper I don't think the BX is much less of a tractor than the 7500 would be. Reduced height bad for in the woods, great for mowing on slopes, ditches etc.

/ Maneuverability of B-series tractors? #4  
If you need to make one tractor do for all, I agree with Bird: You need the power. Everything is a compromise, but better to have to take it a little slower because of less maneuverability when mowing the yard than not be able to do the other stuff.

Mark

/ Maneuverability of B-series tractors?
For maneuverability I'd pick the Deere 455 over the BX. You can get the 455 with 4-Wheel-Steering. I think Kubota has a garden-tractor (G1800S?) that also has 4WS.

Speaking of the 455: the Deere 455 front-end loader has two pistons whereas the BX only has a single piston in the middle. The 455 front-end loader (with rear counter-weights) looks better to me than a BX on paper, but I haven't looked at either in person.

I've seen some mention of 4-in-1 buckets. I'd like to find some more information on them and whether any fit on the B series.

If I do any "serious" work such as cutting a new path through the woods I'll hire someone who knows what they're doing.

/ Maneuverability of B-series tractors?
I've considered getting a riding mower for the yard and an L for the field paths. But if I can find a way to use one machine I'll have half the storage, maintenance and repair requirements and save some money. I'm hoping that one of the B tractors is a good compromise for both a house yard and the field paths to avoid two machines.

Since the land is in wildlife I expect to do work away from the field paths only on rare occasion. And for such non-path work as is done - such as cutting a new path through the woods - I'd rather hire someone knowledgeable to do it for me anyway.

/ Maneuverability of B-series tractors? #7  
If you're mowing that tight, like around planted 4 inch maples or something a much cheaper JD would be better (IMHO). Or even a dedicated zero turning radius mower and then buy a bigger tractor 2910 3410, you'd be able to do anything but the dozer jobs. Why spend 9K for something without 4WD, or a 3point?

As to the single loader cylinder, I've seen no flex in this, and a CAT 544 has a single cylinder, so whether it weighs 2000 pounds or 20000, sounds like a single cylinder does trick.

4 in 1's are neat on the bigger tractors where loader lift isn't so small. If you are thinking about brush pickup how about some hydraulic "fingers" that go down over the loader bucket. Using a blade on the front of these little guys is pointless. I really chuckle seeing them mounted on the garden tractors. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

People want to be tractor drivers no matter what they are sitting on. I'd never be so goofy. Oh, I have to go now, I'm in the middle of replacing the bushings on my blade I have on my self propelled 20" mower. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Maneuverability of B-series tractors? #8  
Hey smart minds think alike! I just read your post that came up while I was off adding my own! There's something to be said for compromise. I'm tired of it. Had a 250cc dirt bike, a month later traded it in on a 100 200 and 500. 100 for the property, 200 for the trails, 500 when I just wanted to scare the hell out of myself.

Same with tractors, have a mid size Ford NH 4WD, replaced it with a L35, BX and probably a JD lawn and garden tractor. Haven't been able to convince the wife of the Kubota KX161 excavator yet!

/ Maneuverability of B-series tractors? #9  
Sounds like the 2710/2910 is the way to go if you can get the trees trimmed. I find it amazing as far as manuevering around trees. Check out the belly mower--72". Beats the JD455 hands-down; decreased my mowing time almost 50%!! 4x4 is essential for loader work imo. Mower deck is on and off in under 5 min., loader in 2-3. For light loader work (90% so far) I leave the mower on--hence less storage space required.

Found the price walk ($4k) to the 2710 from the 7500 well worth it--they are very different tractors. Couldn't justify the features/cost for the 2910 (about $2k).

5 miles of 10' trails is about 6 acres--about equivalent to what I cut, would expect about 3 hours to cut it. Also, ground speed of the 2710 (3 forward ranges) is far higher than say a JD455, not to mention you can cut at top speed (condditions permitting) a lot more comfortably than with a L&G machine.

Additionally on the JD455: Loader is useless and v. hard to put on. Only really good part of it is the Yanmar engine, but feel Kubota is better. Otherwise a basically unimpressive machine. Plus you don't have to deal with JD (guess how I feel about them as a co.). BX with 4x4, and apparent thought put into design seems a far better machine (but haven't driven one), plus they are cheaper.

Good luck, sounds like you have a great piece of property.

/ Maneuverability of B-series tractors? #10  
Good Morning jrv.
Those gentlemen are right about bigger is better.
I agree about mowing around trees can be a pain for I have a tree farm.
The B2910 seems to be the wise choice not for just mowing but also front end loader work,plus you would have 5 more hp.
I carry a weed trimmer in my bucket when mowing for those hard to get places.

Have a pleasant day and good luck.

Thomas..NH