Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw

/ Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Makita 10\" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw

Ok, I'm just about to buy the Makita 10" Slider. It's got a 13amp motor and looks like a very nice saw. Price comes to $425 or so after rebate.

It's probably more saw than I really need but I've been using nothing but a 20yr old B&D 7 1/4" circular saw for the last 15 yrs. and it's time for an upgrade. I'll use the circular saw for ripping. The new saw will probably be used a few times per year and I expect it to last me the rest of my life at that rate.

I've read a lot of good reviews on it. I'm lookin for somebody that has used one or owns one to give me their opinion on it.

Thanks
Kevin

/ Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw #2  
Re: Makita 10\" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw

Kevin,
You don't happen to know the model #.I was a Makita factory service tech for 15 years but some of the models were different in the US

/ Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw

I believe it's LS1013.

/ Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw #4  

You might consider going to Home Depot and looking over the 12" Rigid compound sliding miter saw. I saw one not long ago and after seeing how easy it is to move on the folding stand, I wish that I hadn't purchased the DeWalt 12" saw. The Rigid is a one man operation from set up to take down and rolls on its own built in wheels. Slicker than two pigs in mud. I don't know what they cost, but it is definitely a good unit. They are made of some plastic, but it is definitely a heavy duty product. The 12" is much better than the 10" from what I have been told...

/ Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw #5  

I have the same saw.
Sold my Craftsman Radial Arm Saw and bought the Makita.
Last year I bought a folding Home Depot, Rigid saw stand.
Makes a great portable saw.

/ Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw #6  

We got one, not sure the model # though. Bought it used, 4 or 5 years ago (GOOB sale). Great saw for all around use. Rough cut to fine finish. Some type of work stand is a must. The only drawbacks I can think of are: the dust bag is a little tricky to dump and it's not real friendly to left handed use. Also have a dewalt 12" sliding saw and don't like it nearly as much. It's good for wider boards, but much heavier to set up and a bit more awkward to use. Plus, if you need a blade for the 12", they are not all that common and can be hard to find on short notice.

/ Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw #7  

The older saws had a problem with the internal speed controller that was fixed about 3 years ago.The biggest problem was the turntable grinding on the base.This problem was usually caused by the customer only slightly turning the release handle before trying to spin the table.By doing this it makes the table not sit flat on the base and causes uneven pressure on the base.When releasing the table turn the handle at least a full turn and you should have no problem.I wouldn't have any problem buying one myself if I was looking.

/ Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw #8  

Look at the new Bosch sliding compound miter, if you can find one. It's getting great reviews and has some great features.

/ Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw #9  

I've got a Dewalt 12" slider and a Rigid 10" compound . I am sure the Makita is a good saw, although I gave up on their impact drill after the 2nd set of brushes and upgraded to a Bosche (back when Home Depot did that sort of thing).

The 12" Rigid slider is a nice machine, and I'd consider it if my Dewalt disappeared.

The thing is, a 12" saw is a real heavy brute, and not the sort of thing you want to move around. 10" saws do most of what you need, but are easier on the back.

/ Makita 10" Slide Dual Compound Miter Saw #10  

I use that model - wouldn't trade it for anything! I use mine for everything from deck building to picture frame making - it has maintained excellent accuracy.