Making pallet forks

/ Making pallet forks #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
I'm making a set of pallet forks for my bobcat. I bought a blank off ebay for $90, picking up forks for $50. My question is, how often do you need to adjust the fork width? The forks are ring type, I was considering welding them in place. However then it's not adjustable. But if realistically people never adjust the fork width, why go through the extra effort of making a ring setup. I can get some flat bar and weld it and some 3/4" round bar and weld a system that allows movement of the forks, but how useful is it?

/ Making pallet forks #2  
I'm making a set of pallet forks for my bobcat. I bought a blank off ebay for $90, picking up forks for $50. My question is, how often do you need to adjust the fork width? The forks are ring type, I was considering welding them in place. However then it's not adjustable. But if realistically people never adjust the fork width, why go through the extra effort of making a ring setup. I can get some flat bar and weld it and some 3/4" round bar and weld a system that allows movement of the forks, but how useful is it?

I adjust mine quite a bit. Not everything I want to pick up is actually on a pallet. For example, a couple days ago I moved my “portable” (but heavy!) generator. Standard width would have been too wide.

/ Making pallet forks #3  
By "ring type" you mean the top hangs on a pipe/bar?

I'd make them adjustable. Use mine in the wide position for logs and other long stuff, somewhere in the middle for different styles of pallets/drums, then slide together to wrap a chain around both forks or dig out small stumps/rocks/etc. Like most people you'll probably find more uses for forks than you realize (I know I did).

/ Making pallet forks
Thanks. That's what I figured. I was hoping for an easy way out, but i figured i was going to have to make something a bit more complicated. Do you happen to know the inner diameter of the standard pipe forks? Steel shop closes at 5pm, picking up the forks at 7pm friday.

/ Making pallet forks #5  
It will be a little more work but make them adjustable. You can thank us later. Lol

Round bar mounted forks have the advantage of being floating making pallet entry easier.

Hook type have the advantage of being able to use the tilt function to apply down pressure on the tips.

I use appropriately sized (1.5”D in my case ) collar clamps to keep the forks positioned for standard pallets.

Here is my home made set for two pallets side by side.

IMG_2678.jpg

/ Making pallet forks #6  
Oh and 3/4”D bar seems undersized for most Bobcats.

/ Making pallet forks #7  
I have hydraulic actuated fork width on my tractor and only manual position forks on my forklift but a side shift option. I have to adjust widths regularly and I wouldnt recommend welding them in place...I wouldnt. You will end up using the forks for a lot more than picking up one size of pallet. Welding the forks in place is like welding your tractors gear shift lever into one gear. Yes you could live with only second gear but would you want to?

/ Making pallet forks #8  
I made mine adjustable for the reasons noted above. I made myself a wood box out of a skid with plywood side and castors on the bottom. The box is 32" wide to fit through the door of the shop where I keep the fire wood. I needed the forks to be narrow for that use.

One thing I did was to make the forks removable by sliding off the frame and installing upside down. The forks in this setup are 16" off the ground when the loader is lowered. This allows me a higher reach (16" higher) to store winter tires on a high shelf in the garage, I have 9' ceilings.

/ Making pallet forks #9  
Yup, make them adjustable, it's amazing how often you want to move them for all the different things we encounter.

/ Making pallet forks
That's what I figured. I"m estimating 3/4", i haven't picked up the forks yet. When I pick them up I'll measure and get proper sized round steel.