Making Mugolio or Pine Syrup

/ Making Mugolio or Pine Syrup #11  
Interesting. Pines and conifers in general have a sharp astringent turpentine taste and aroma. I will be skeptical until I hear otherwise.

/ Making Mugolio or Pine Syrup
Yep, one more day!! I am pretty excited too! I have 3 batches going, I plan on letting at least one of them go for 2+ months see how it changes the flavor. Stay tuned! Might take me a couple days to finish it into syrup form.

Interesting. Pines and conifers in general have a sharp astringent turpentine taste and aroma. I will be skeptical until I hear otherwise.
What was the last piece of a pine tree you tasted?

/ Making Mugolio or Pine Syrup #14  
What was the last piece of a pine tree you tasted?
Well, working in the woods I have bitten down on a few pine needles and tasted sap balls. It never made me think this would be something good to eat. Native Americans used to strip bark and eat the soft inner cambium of pines during times of hardship, but it was never a preferred food.

/ Making Mugolio or Pine Syrup #17  
This reminds me . . . When I lived in Houston in the '70s and '80s there was a Greek restaurant down on the ship channel that was frequented by the sailors in port. Rustic but great food. They had a wine list that included wines with rosin. One night on a lark I ordered a bottle with rosin. The waiter asked if I was sure that's what I wanted. When I asked, he said I wouldn't like it, so I changed my order.

Later, I learned that the stuff is an old tradition. Seems the Roman soldiers were drinking up the Greeks' wine as they ransacked the place, so the Greeks started adding pine rosin to discourage the practice.

As a pine tree farmer, I'm all for finding new markets, but I don't think foodstuffs is going to fly. But if we can convert plants to 'meat', who knows?

OK!! I canned batch #1! I got about 3 pints out of a quart jar of sugar and Virginia pine pollen cones. I like it! I tried it on some vanilla ice cream. It is a delicate mix of woodsy, floral, and citrus notes. I bet if I let someone try it and they did not know it was pine syrup they would be hard pressed to come up with pine syrup. It is not piney or resinous AT ALL. Again this is just my initial impression, I look forward to trying it on pancakes. I have 2 more batches, one made with Virginia Pine and turbinado sugar and the other with white pine and brown sugar. Looking forward to trying them, I might harvest the turbinado sugar one soonish. The white pine one I might let stew for another month or so, to see if it changes as it matures.

Last edited:
   / Making Mugolio or Pine Syrup #19  
OK!! I canned batch #1! I got about 3 pints out of a quart jar of sugar and Virginia pine pollen cones. I like it! I tried it on some vanilla ice cream. It is a delicate mix of woodsy, floral, and citrus notes. I bet if I let someone try it and they did not know it was pine syrup they would be hard pressed to come up with pine syrup. It is not piney or resinous AT ALL. Again this is just my initial impression, I look forward to trying it on pancakes. I have 2 more batches, one made with Virginia Pine and turbinado sugar and the other with white pine and brown sugar. Looks forward to trying them I might harvest the turbinado sugar one soonish. The white pine one I might let stew for another month or so, see if it changes as it matures.
Pollen cones? That’s different. I thought you were using the resinous needles.

/ Making Mugolio or Pine Syrup #20  
Tap a maple tree, collect the sap and boil it down. You get Maple Syrup! The sweet essence of breakfast waffles!

Tap a pine tree, collect the sap and boil it down. You get turpentine! Turps will kill you faster than horsemen ride!

;-)