Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad

/ Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
I'm 48 and my dad is 78. We recently took a 3 days trip from CT to Cheyenne to chase the UP Big Boy for a day and then visit his older brother in Denver. The three of us went to the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. Had a great time, never been on a long distance trip with just my dad and me. Was so worth the time and money.

14.jpeg

What have you done with your dad that was worthwhile and memorable?

/ Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad #2  
I'm doubly Blessed.

Went on a week long vacation with my Dad when I was 13.

Just returned from a 4 day offroad wheelin trip with my Sons.

/ Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad #3  
IMG1542008584.jpg

/ Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad #4  
My father worked hard all of his life, and one thing that he always talked about was shooting a moose. In 1999 he got drawn, with my sister's boyfriend at the time as subpermittee. My brother and I both took time off and we had a really good week together, culminating with an 860 lb moose on the next to the last day of our hunt. :thumbsup: :moose:

/ Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad #5  
I'm 48 and my dad is 78. We recently took a 3 days trip from CT to Cheyenne to chase the UP Big Boy for a day and then visit his older brother in Denver. The three of us went to the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. Had a great time, never been on a long distance trip with just my dad and me. Was so worth the time and money.

View attachment 626080

What have you done with your dad that was worthwhile and memorable?

Unfortunately, my Dad and I never got to do much of anything together. He did take me hunting and fishing a few times. He called me at work one day; said he was sick, broke, nothing in the house to eat, and he couldn't get up. I went and got him, brought him home, and he lived with us until his death a couple years later at age 90. We worked out a lot of kinks in those two years. There's a long story behind why I didn't know he was in that kind of shape, but that part of the story will have to remain untold.

/ Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad #6  
^^^^
The important thing is that you were able to help and spend some time with him before he passed.

/ Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad #7  
^^^^
The important thing is that you were able to help and spend some time with him before he passed.

He told me he loved me...the first time I had ever heard that word from him...about a week before he died.

/ Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad #8  
We blew a lot of stuff up. :laughing:

Among other things, dad was a demolitions officer in WWII. Did a good job of passing along the knowledge to me and my sisters. Of course, this was back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Doing that kind of stuff today would land you in jail. :rolleyes:

A lot of fun science, engineering, art and history lessons in there as well. Mom was a pretty good teacher too. I mess em both. :)

/ Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad #9  
He told me he loved me...the first time I had ever heard that word from him...about a week before he died.

Similar for my dad. He wasn't the emotional type. Got cancer. We spent about 5 weeks talking about quite a bit of life before he passed. Showed me a lot of intestinal fortitude in the way he handled it right up to the end. Some good life lessons there.

/ Making Memories - What have you done with your Dad #10  
Now my father-in-law and I have done a lot of fishing together. Summer in a boat and winter on the ice. Great times with my kids. He loves them very much. Just a great guy to have fun with for the past 40 years. He's winding down now too. Has dementia. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm watching him tonight so his wife could go to a play with my daughter. Hard work. Hard play. Loves his wife. Great example of how to live. :)